Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi. I have finished my GCSEs now so will be enrolling in college in September. However, ever since a young age I really wanted to go into veterinary nursing and so I applied for a Level 3 Diploma in animal care. I got into that course but then since I had took Child Development at GCSE I also have an interest in working with kids so I also applied for the Level 3 Child Care and Education course. I have just completed work experience for this and was all set to do this but recently I have been a little bit doubtful as I find it difficult in deciding. I also took Art as a GCSE and if I felt I could become a successful photographer or something I would like to do that as well but I have to be realistic. The thing is if I choose a course I am more likely to enjoy there is a smaller chance of getting a job at the end of it whereas if I choose to study childcare and enjoy it a bit there are so many more jobs available. Its not that I don't like kids though, I really enjoyed my work experience but I am struggling to decide. I don't feel like I want to study A-levels to be honest. It's confusing. What do you think I should do ?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by morrisseymarr97)
    Hi. I have finished my GCSEs now so will be enrolling in college in September. However, ever since a young age I really wanted to go into veterinary nursing and so I applied for a Level 3 Diploma in animal care. I got into that course but then since I had took Child Development at GCSE I also have an interest in working with kids so I also applied for the Level 3 Child Care and Education course. I have just completed work experience for this and was all set to do this but recently I have been a little bit doubtful as I find it difficult in deciding. I also took Art as a GCSE and if I felt I could become a successful photographer or something I would like to do that as well but I have to be realistic. The thing is if I choose a course I am more likely to enjoy there is a smaller chance of getting a job at the end of it whereas if I choose to study childcare and enjoy it a bit there are so many more jobs available. Its not that I don't like kids though, I really enjoyed my work experience but I am struggling to decide. I don't feel like I want to study A-levels to be honest. It's confusing. What do you think I should do ?
    I would recommend that if you want a guaranteed job at the end of the course, you take the childcare course. You can always do some photography on the side and sell photos without setting up a business to live off, and you could complete a course on the side as well, whether it be a part-time degree with the Open University, or simply a way of learning some new techniques. I can really understand the interest in animals, but it is a much more competitive area, which you are much less likely to get a job in. However, you could still do the training for becoming a veterinary nurse at the side of childcare once you have a secure income.

Basically, secure yourself a job first, because there is a lot more competition around for jobs these days, and then you can think about hobbies or changing jobs later in life. You have plenty of time to sample all three if you so wish! Just because you settle into one career doesn't mean you're stuck there for life. The average person will now switch between 10 different full-time jobs in their lifetime, and there's no reason not to add a few extra qualifications or courses in there as well if there are some that interest you.

ReputationRep:
    However, if you really do have your heart set on animals, and can show that you have an advantage over other applicants, such as work experience or volunteering, then you may just be successful in that area. I think this decision depends on how committed you can be to getting yourself the job at the end of the line.

Edit: But I would definitely steer away from photography because, as good as it sounds, it is very unlikely to bring you enough income to live off. Keep it as a hobby and a method of gaining a little extra cash when needs be.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by carrotstar)
    However, if you really do have your heart set on animals, and can show that you have an advantage over other applicants, such as work experience or volunteering, then you may just be successful in that area. I think this decision depends on how committed you can be to getting yourself the job at the end of the line.

Edit: But I would definitely steer away from photography because, as good as it sounds, it is very unlikely to bring you enough income to live off. Keep it as a hobby and a method of gaining a little extra cash when needs be.
    Hello, I am sooo greatful for your reply. I was worried people would see the massive text and just ignore it or say something mean! Anyway you have really advised me well. You made really valid points and I am glad you understood how child care will generally open up more job prospects since as we know you can end up getting the qualification in something and not even get a job at the end of it. I really didnt know I could study child care and then get a job within that sector and also do photography on the side, even if it is for a bit of extra cash. That sounds really appealing so thankyou! As for the animal course I havent got any experience within a professional environment but since the college didnt require any I thought it musn't have been needed. I do have an interest with animals but the course that o
    I applied for said the possible jobs at the end of it could be a zoo keeper, pet shop worker (overqualified!) , dog groomer, veterinary nurse etc. Well from them oprions there is only veterinary I would want and if say I couldnt get into uni for that, id be stuck. Whereas with childcare this is nursing, teaching, nursery work, pyschology, working abroad. And many of them appeal to me. And as for photography if you say to stay away from it as a main job then I will keep that in mind. Sorry for all of this but I am just really glad to speak to and get advice from someone else, I really appreciate it. What are you studying anyway I am curious?!

ReputationRep:
    Hello, I am sooo greatful for your reply. I was worried people would see the massive text and just ignore it or say something mean! Anyway you have really advised me well. You made really valid points and I am glad you understood how child care will generally open up more job prospects since as we know you can end up getting the qualification in something and not even get a job at the end of it. I really didnt know I could study child care and then get a job within that sector and also do photography on the side, even if it is for a bit of extra cash. That sounds really appealing so thankyou! As for the animal course I havent got any experience within a professional environment but since the college didnt require any I thought it musn't have been needed. I do have an interest with animals but the course that o
    I applied for said the possible jobs at the end of it could be a zoo keeper, pet shop worker (overqualified!) , dog groomer, veterinary nurse etc. Well from them oprions there is only veterinary I would want and if say I couldnt get into uni for that, id be stuck. Whereas with childcare this is nursing, teaching, nursery work, pyschology, working abroad. And many of them appeal to me. And as for photography if you say to stay away from it as a main job then I will keep that in mind. Sorry for all of this but I am just really glad to speak to and get advice from someone else, I really appreciate it. What are you studying anyway I am curious?!
    No problem! Glad I could help!

I've just finished year 13, studying A-levels in Computing, Chemistry and Biology, and am hoping to go to uni in September to do Pharmaceutical and Cosmetic Science, if I get the results... Haha

Good luck with whatever you decide to do, but I do think there are more options with childcare than the other two, and there is certainly more demand there.
    You can definitely keep photography on the side. Take a look at websites such as iStock Photography, for example. You can sell your photos all over the place!

ReputationRep:
    Hi there, wow that sounds really good. I wish you good luck although I am sure you will do fine.

Thats interesting I didnt know you could do that, thanks for the advice anyway, , much appreciated!

ReputationRep:
    Hi there, wow that sounds really good. I wish you good luck although I am sure you will do fine.

Thats interesting I didnt know you could do that, thanks for the advice anyway, , much appreciated!
    Just looked back at this, and for some reason the word p.r.o.b.l.e.m. Has been starred... I honestly didn't swear,haha. Out if interest, have you made a decision?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.