Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Work and savings: what's left after paying all of the commitments? Watch

ReputationRep:
    Insurance, variety of bills e.g. electrical; gas; internet; water; etc., food, rent, loans, etc.

:pinch:

How much % left after all of these payments for you guys?

ReputationRep:
    Am still interested with the topic.

ReputationRep:
    How long is a piece of string?

A decent (London) mid 20s graduate salary would be around £40k, which is £2,100/month after tax/pension/student loans. Rent would be around £600-700 if you have a room in a shared flat somewhere decent (£1200+ if you live in 1 bed on your own), and maybe £100-150 for bills on top of that.

Food, well how much do you want to spend? Are you cooking your meals at home, or buying lunch at a cafe every day? How often are you eating out? etc. Its going to be anywhere from £10-20/day depending on what youre doing. Travel will be around £100/month (in London) too. Entertainment depends on how often you go to pubs/bars, maybe £100/week for a typical person that isnt a baller or hermit? Then maybe another £100/month for all the small life essentials that add up (haircuts, clothes, razors, etc).

I doubt many people are saving much money in London these days unless they are earning north of £40-50k, or still living a student lifestyle.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by poohat)
    How long is a piece of string?

Food, well how much do you want to spend? Are you cooking your meals at home, or buying lunch at a cafe every day? How often are you eating out? etc. .
    I didn't create this thread for you to post questions/replies like these; I made it for people to answer from their own experience. Good grief.

ReputationRep:
    6.239%

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kka25)
    I didn't create this thread for you to post questions/replies like these; I made it for people to answer from their own experience. Good grief.
    I've just done some quick calculations and my net income is about 65% of my total wage, which is quite high I guess. It was actually about 90% not so long ago, but I've since had to make some commitments!

I do realise, though, that I'm in the very fortunate (at least in this context ) position to still be living with my parents ... though my monthly car insurance is ridiculously expensive (almost the price of renting a small-flat).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Burridge)
    I've just done some quick calculations and my net income is about 65% of my total wage, which is quite high I guess. It was actually about 90% not so long ago, but I've since had to make some commitments!

I do realise, though, that I'm in the very fortunate (at least in this context ) position to still be living with my parents ... though my monthly car insurance is ridiculously expensive (almost the price to rent a small-flat).

Thank you for the reply

Actually, that's one of the reasons I'm hesitant to buy a car; I know it's going to pinch me really! I bet you're the frugal type?

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
    Useful resources
    AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.