Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Is it okay to start a job and leave after 3 months? Watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    I know technically you can leave whenever but basically I started working at a Tesco Express a few weeks ago but don't know if I could keep up with a 16.5 hour job alongside my university timetable that starts in September since it takes up most of my weekend. Ideally I'd like to go down to one day like Sunday but considering the fact that I applied just for Sunday hours in the first place and they then signed me up for 3 days (which I thought was weird) after offering me it I would think they wouldn't agree to it since they have a limited workforce as it is so having me just working one day and probably not doing overtime wouldn't be much use to them. So if I couldn't do that I'd have to pack it in- is that a valid excuse? Also is it normal for them to lump you with hours you didn't apply for (that aren't voluntary overtime)?

This is my first job so forgive my naivety

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Swinub)
    I know technically you can leave whenever but basically I started working at a Tesco Express a few weeks ago but don't know if I could keep up with a 16.5 hour job alongside my university timetable that starts in September since it takes up most of my weekend. Ideally I'd like to go down to one day like Sunday but considering the fact that I applied just for Sunday hours in the first place and they then signed me up for 3 days (which I thought was weird) after offering me it I would think they wouldn't agree to it since they have a limited workforce as it is so having me just working one day and probably not doing overtime wouldn't be much use to them. So if I couldn't do that I'd have to pack it in- is that a valid excuse? Also is it normal for them to lump you with hours you didn't apply for (that aren't voluntary overtime)?

All is forgiven

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Swinub)

This happened to me, although I kept at it a bit but then left to avoid burning myself out. In fact, a few people left with me, haha.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    You should have questioned right away why you were doing three days oppose to just the one which you applied for. How many hours does your contract say? If its got the original Sunday hours you applied for, you should be able to go down to less hours.

Don't feel bad that they have a limited workforce, that's not your problem!

Of course it's okay to leave. They can't kill you, just see what the period of notice is like. Information like that should be included in your contract. Saying that you'd like to focus on your studies is a valid reason to leave a job. You never know though, they might really like you and want you to stay on even if it is just for a few hours once a week. Maybe you could let them know that during non-term times you are able to work more hours?

ReputationRep:
    its tesco, no one cares about tesco. if it were a small family run enterprise id be more concerned that they had found a replacement.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by smjwell)
    You should have questioned right away why you were doing three days oppose to just the one which you applied for. How many hours does your contract say? If its got the original Sunday hours you applied for, you should be able to go down to less hours.

Don't feel bad that they have a limited workforce, that's not your problem!

Of course it's okay to leave. They can't kill you, just see what the period of notice is like. Information like that should be included in your contract. Saying that you'd like to focus on your studies is a valid reason to leave a job. You never know though, they might really like you and want you to stay on even if it is just for a few hours once a week. Maybe you could let them know that during non-term times you are able to work more hours?
    I know I was honestly so stupid like I couldn't believe I got the job so I just agreed to it without thinking! I haven't actually seen my contract but I'll make a point of doing so. Thank you, I just feel bad leaving so soon and them having to retrain another person! Tbh I would have gotten this sorted out sooner but my manager is nice but kind of flaky and hard to talk to because I don't think he's ever really listening. :rolleyes:

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.