Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Which phone do you think is the best and why? Buying a phone separately vs contract? Watch

ReputationRep:
    So I'm looking for a new phone and I've had some pretty crappy phones in the last few years so I'm just looking for a good one.

The ones I've briefly looked at are: Samsung Galaxy S5, iphone 5c, Sony Xperia Z2, LG G3, Nokia Lumia 1020, Google Nexus 5.

I don't really have many requirements but I'd like the camera to be good and the phone to not get slow and unresponsive quickly (I've had my fair share of that). I can't think of anything else I'm fussy on really.

I've also just recently discovered the Moto G and I'm heavily leaning towards buying it. What are your opinions on it?
    Also, I'm on three and I don't think that they actually sell this phone so I'd have to buy it separately and get a sim only contract.

Generally though do you think it's cheaper to buy a phone separately and then get a sim only contract or a pay monthly?

Also if I change network providers can I still keep my number?

And if I buy a phone from amazon for example, will it need to be unlocked before I can use it with a sim?
    • Reporter Team

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by melody19)
    Generally though do you think it's cheaper to buy a phone separately and then get a sim only contract or a pay monthly?
    Not just generally, it's always cheaper to buy a handset and sim plan separately than getting the same phone and plan on contract together, assuming you aren't unnecessarily overpaying for either. Carriers will have to recoup the cost of handset they're giving you and make a profit in the long run, compared to just selling a comparatively inexpensive sim-only plan that will have a smaller markup for profit. You can then of course shop around for handsets.

In terms of best phones, the top tier handsets right now on the Android front are all quite similar in terms of base specs. Currently the best options on UK soil are the Galaxy S5, HTC One M8, Sony Xperia Z2, and LG G3. All four have top-end Snapdragon 801 processors and the same graphics, large 1080p displays or better, the newest version of Android, and a host of other features. From there each phone has its own unique selling points- the LG G3 has the most obvious technical advantage in its qHD 1440p display, the One M8 has gorgeous build quality and a more unique take on the camera (not as sharp as competitors but better in low light and has dual sensors for messing with depth of field), and the Z2 and S5 are both waterproofed. Their choice of hardware and software design will also play a big part in which you prefer using, for example I dislike Samsung's design philosophies a lot.

Also seriously worth considering but more difficult to get your hands on are the new high spec, low price handsets from Chinese manufacturers Oppo and OnePlus, the Find 7a and OnePlus One. Both are extremely similar to each other and are well and truly flagship phones in the spec department- same 801 CPU and Adreno 330 GPU as the big names, large (huge, in fact- 5.5" like the LG G3) 1080p panels that look great, nice cameras, newest version of Android (the OPO ships with the hugely customisable and fully featured Cyanogen mod too), top notch build quality, the works. The key differentiator from the big name flagships though is the prices, the Find 7a sells for £309 from Oppo's UK distributor mobicity and the OnePlus One sells for a staggeringly low £229 direct from OnePlus (if you can get hold of one, they're on an invite-only system right now and availability is extremely limited) or for around the £300-£320 mark from (unapproved) third parties, so significantly cheaper than the competition despite being virtually identical spec-wise. I've just received my own OPO and love it.

The Moto G and Nexus 5 are also extremely worthwhile considerations for getting as much smartphone for as little money as possible. The N5 is a generation behind the current flagships but like the OPO/7a is considerably cheaper, and likely to have better software support over its lifespan being a Nexus device, and still packs plenty of punch and has a great display. The Moto G is even cheaper but is punching well above its weight spec wise, with a great mid-range processor and a lightweight unskinned Android mean it feels extremely quick to use. Only 720p but with a small screen size it looks really sharp, sharp enough to make 1080p completely unnecessary. Also very nicely built but a bit chunkier. Camera quality is the biggest drawback of both devices, but if you want to core experience of a high quality smartphone and want to stay budget conscious, both are excellent.

The 1020 I'd only consider if photography was your main priority- functionality, app selection, and interface all fall short of Android and iOS in my opinion.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Gofre)
    Not just generally, it's always cheaper to buy a handset and sim plan separately than getting the same phone and plan on contract together, assuming you aren't unnecessarily overpaying for either. Carriers will have to recoup the cost of handset they're giving you and make a profit in the long run, compared to just selling a comparatively inexpensive sim-only plan that will have a smaller markup for profit. You can then of course shop around for handsets.
    Ahh I see, whichever phone I choose, I'll be doing this then

Also seriously worth considering but more difficult to get your hands on are the new high spec, low price handsets from Chinese manufacturers Oppo and OnePlus, the Find 7a and OnePlus One. Both are extremely similar to each other and are well and truly flagship phones in the spec department- same 801 CPU and Adreno 330 GPU as the big names, large (huge, in fact- 5.5" like the LG G3) 1080p panels that look great, nice cameras, newest version of Android (the OPO ships with the hugely customisable and fully featured Cyanogen mod too), top notch build quality, the works. The key differentiator from the big name flagships though is the prices, the Find 7a sells for £309 from Oppo's UK distributor mobicity and the OnePlus One sells for a staggeringly low £229 direct from OnePlus (if you can get hold of one, they're on an invite-only system right now and availability is extremely limited) or for around the £300-£320 mark from (unapproved) third parties, so significantly cheaper than the competition despite being virtually identical spec-wise. I've just received my own OPO and love it.
    Oooh I've never heard of these, I'll look into them!

The Moto G and Nexus 5 are also extremely worthwhile considerations for getting as much smartphone for as little money as possible. The N5 is a generation behind the current flagships but like the OPO/7a is considerably cheaper, and likely to have better software support over its lifespan being a Nexus device, and still packs plenty of punch and has a great display. The Moto G is even cheaper but is punching well above its weight spec wise, with a great mid-range processor and a lightweight unskinned Android mean it feels extremely quick to use. Only 720p but with a small screen size it looks really sharp, sharp enough to make 1080p completely unnecessary. Also very nicely built but a bit chunkier. Camera quality is the biggest drawback of both devices, but if you want to core experience of a high quality smartphone and want to stay budget conscious, both are excellent.

The 1020 I'd only consider if photography was your main priority- functionality, app selection, and interface all fall short of Android and iOS in my opinion.
    Yes, I'm drawn to the Moto G because of the good specs and the cheap price! Am just a bit frustrated about the camera because I take a lot of photos but for that price I can't really complain.

Thank you for you help, your response was very informative

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
    Useful resources

Quick link:

Unanswered mobile phones threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.