Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

So you're talking to this girl (or guy) and you end up liking them enough to where you want a relationship with them. You tell them that you like them and, unfortunately, they don't like you back.

Why is it now awkward with that person?

If somebody told me they liked me and I didn't like them back, I wouldn't be awkward with them, but it seems that if I ever tell a girl that I like her and she doesn't like me back, it becomes really awkward and they, normally, don't want to talk anymore because it's weird or whatever.

But why?

If it wasn't this way, it would be SO much easier to tell a person that you like them. Any thoughts?

ReputationRep:
    OMG I had this exact same thing happen a while back. Although, luckily, she was an extremely classy and mature lady and she never once brought it up again, she was very mature about it. She continued talking to me like normal, as if nothing at all had changed, so that was good, I was lucky there. I guess different people react differently. But it doesn't have to be awkward...try to move past it and not dwell too much on it. If you make it awkward in your mind, then it will always remain awkward. Even though it feels awkward for you, try not to think about it too much okay.

Anyway, I feel for you, and I fully agree with that last statement. Like I said, different people take it in different ways. For me, it was relatively painless. Maybe it was because she was in her mid 20s, so she wasn't a kid.

Thanks man! I just really don't understand why people find it awkward after, I for one do not! Thank you for your post though very helpful

ReputationRep:
    Always hardest for the Man

ReputationRep:
    I've had it happen to me. Fortunately, things didn't become awkward between her and me. I kinda just moved on and we ended up pretty close friends.

ReputationRep:
    had it happen to me i guess, we just cut contact afterwards, i feel that its better that way.

ReputationRep:
    It differs from person to person and is effected by your previous relationship (like if you were good friends before)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    So you're talking to this girl (or guy) and you end up liking them enough to where you want a relationship with them. You tell them that you like them and, unfortunately, they don't like you back.

Why is it now awkward with that person?

If somebody told me they liked me and I didn't like them back, I wouldn't be awkward with them, but it seems that if I ever tell a girl that I like her and she doesn't like me back, it becomes really awkward and they, normally, don't want to talk anymore because it's weird or whatever.

But why?

If it wasn't this way, it would be SO much easier to tell a person that you like them. Any thoughts?
    I don't get it either I always tell people and I think it's only awkward if you let it be

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Stinkum)
    OMG I had this exact same thing happen a while back. Although, luckily, she was an extremely classy and mature lady and she never once brought it up again, she was very mature about it. She continued talking to me like normal, as if nothing at all had changed, so that was good, I was lucky there. I guess different people react differently. But it doesn't have to be awkward...try to move past it and not dwell too much on it. If you make it awkward in your mind, then it will always remain awkward. Even though it feels awkward for you, try not to think about it too much okay.

Anyway, I feel for you, and I fully agree with that last statement. Like I said, different people take it in different ways. For me, it was relatively painless. Maybe it was because she was in her mid 20s, so she wasn't a kid.
    A very sensible post man, where is the controversy? :lol:
    Perhaps some people on tsr are jealous, because of how well you express yourself? :y;

ReputationRep:
    I've never understood the awkwardness. And it's only awkward if one of you makes it awkward.

But I was in a situation where a guy I'd recently made friends with told myself and our friends that he liked me and when he realised I didn't feel the same, he made things awkward. I personally didn't feel that it was awkward and would've liked to stay friends, but he obviously didn't want that and was awkward with me every time I saw him :indiff: So sometimes it's the person with the feelings that makes it awkward

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LostGear)
    A very sensible post man, where is the controversy? :lol:
    Perhaps some people on tsr are jealous, because of how well you express yourself? :y;
    Haha hey there, thanks I'm thoughtful from time to time, on rare occasions. But this seems to be like a common situation for a lot of people! I found out I wasn't the only person who went through that.

ReputationRep:
    I think part of the awkward feeling is that they'll worry about giving you wrong signals and they may read too much into things you do for them.

Eg

If they hugged you, you may think they have/have started to have feelings for you.

(This one's slightly difficult to explain so I hope you understand) You hug them, they may worry that you think they feel the same or, to an extreme, they may worry that there's an ulterior motive - you initiating physical contact etc.
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Welcome Squad
    It's never been awkard for me actually and I know what you are on bout - when I was friends with these guys who would ask me out, on a footie pitch while we're hanging out, scenario :lolwut: I would wonder how our relationship would be like post me telling him that our flirting was just flirting - nothing else.

I would tell them that I'm not interested in him romantically at all ! I think sometime some kids get too emotionally tangled into a relationship even before it begins because they cannot see why they would ever not think of going out with them - a ridiculous point of view actually because people should be free to feel as they want to!

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: July 22, 2014
Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.