Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Alright I am an EU student so the process might be a little be different for me.
    But this is what I experienced this year and I wanted your opinion.
    I applied to UCL , Durham and St Andrews and was rejected by all of them. Now , I am aware entry is very competitive etc. but I can't see their reason for rejecting me . I was predicted higher grades than those required by the university , my personal statement was very good , to my teacher at least , and my reference too.
    They said they had " more suitable applicants ". I hardly see it. I was predicted ( and gained ) a 95/100 ( A*AA), which is one of the highest scores .
    I really need some feedback , I am heading to Kent but I plan to apply to other unis so I'd like to know how to avoid these sort of rejections.
    Thank you

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CAROLAL1)
    Alright I am an EU student so the process might be a little be different for me.
    I applied to UCL , Durham and St Andrews and was rejected by all of them. Now , I am aware entry is very competitive etc. but I can't see their reason for rejecting me . I was predicted higher grades than those required by the university , my personal statement was very good , to my teacher at least , and my reference too.
    They said they had " more suitable applicants ". I hardly see it. I was predicted ( and gained ) a 95/100 ( A*AA), which is one of the highest scores .
    I really need some feedback , I am heading to Kent but I plan to apply to other unis so I'd like to know how to avoid these sort of rejections.
    Thank you
    Without any idea of the subject and what you have said about your suitability for it, nobody on here could help you. Also, none of us is an admissions tutor so we don't know what they were looking for. The response you got is standard for 'you might have been fine, but there were others who were finer still.'

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by carnationlilyrose)
    Without any idea of the subject and what you have said about your suitability for it, nobody on here could help you. Also, none of us is an admissions tutor so we don't know what they were looking for. The response you got is standard for 'you might have been fine, but there were others who were finer still.'
    Physics.
    Yup very standard , I guess that's email they send everyone :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    Physics.
    Yup very standard , I guess that's email they send everyone :rolleyes:
    I imagine it is, and tbh, there's little more they can say. You probably didn't do anything 'wrong'. You had 3 very high risk choices and they just didn't go your way, and while it's easy to get paranoid about this kind of thing, it is often just going to be bad luck.

ReputationRep:
    There's not really anything you can do. Although there's nothing wrong with your application, others clearly had better ones. You say you were predicted higher grades than those needed by the university, but those are minimum requirements so that's not particularly impressive. Your PS and reference may have been fine, but evidently there were people who had better ones than you. It's a shame, but when you apply to unis as selective as that it's inevitable that very good applicants get turned down.

My advice would be to not dwell on it, and not be put off by the rejections. I'm sure you'll still be successful in whatever you do elsewhere.

ReputationRep:
    Thank you
    I wouldn't say it's not inherent unfairness and I don't see what difference being an EU student would make since you're assessed along the same lines as home applicants. As carnationlilyrose has already said, it's more likely down to bad luck.

I thought I'd add though that given you're predicted those grades I'd definitely have a look at adjustment on results day which will allow you to 'trade up' to a better uni.

ReputationRep:
    I wouldn't say they are unfair as I am an EU student and got offers from all my choices despite my maths prediction being lower than required for my course.The same thing happened to my friend she wanted to do Mathematics and was predicted really high grades and had a good personal statement but was rejected. It's most likely because the course is highly competitive.

Hope I helped.

ReputationRep:
    I was predicted ( and gained ) a 95/100 ( A*AA),
    Did you get A*AA or did you get 95 out of 100 in your home country's examination system?

If the latter, I do not know, but the universities would know, how much maths and physics your course contained and at what level of difficulty.

If your course contained significantly less physics and maths than the studies of the other applicants you may always have been at a very great disadvantage.

ReputationRep:
    OP, this post may throw some light on it:
    http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/show...0#post45102070

Your physics result is your weakest, if I read your post correctly. You yourself seem to anticipate that your results may be holding you back, and I suspect these universities may share your concern, but who knows?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by carnationlilyrose)
    OP, this post may throw some light on it:
    http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/show...0#post45102070

Your physics result is your weakest, if I read your post correctly. You yourself seem to anticipate that your results may be holding you back, and I suspect these universities may share your concern, but who knows?
    I had thought about that too but the unis I mentioned never cared about those scores , they only asked my teacher for my senior year scores , also they didn't even know about those scores as I had to put pending or something on UCAS

ReputationRep:
    I had thought about that too but the unis I mentioned never cared about those scores , they only asked my teacher for my senior year scores , also they didn't even know about those scores as I had to put pending or something on UCAS
    Then I return to my original opinion - you took a high risk chance and were unlucky.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by nulli tertius)
    Did you get A*AA or did you get 95 out of 100 in your home country's examination system?

If the latter, I do not know, but the universities would know, how much maths and physics your course contained and at what level of difficulty.

If your course contained significantly less physics and maths than the studies of the other applicants you may always have been at a very great disadvantage.
    On the website there was written something like " we want A*AA or its equivalent 95 ( sometimes they say 90 ) % "
    I wasn't really asked what the course contained neither my referee were :eek:

ReputationRep:
    Look at what is available in clearing. If you have already got your results maybe start calling around now, as admissions may need a little more time to consider the equivalency of your qualifications.

ReputationRep:
    I think it's always a good idea to perhaps choose an option with slightly lower entry requirements incase the worst happens (which it seems to have your case)

Either that or your referee had a few glasses of red wine and some underlying hatred of you the night your reference was done

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LivinginColour)
    I think it's always a good idea to perhaps choose an option with slightly lower entry requirements incase the worst happens (which it seems to have your case)

Either that or your referee had a few glasses of red wine and some underlying hatred of you the night your reference was done
    they did- they have an offer from Kent. they just wanted to go somewhere better

ReputationRep:
    Thank you
    OP sometimes a tutor will say the personal statement is good but it is not what the university is looking for.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jelly1000)
    OP sometimes a tutor will say the personal statement is good but it is not what the university is looking for.
    Sadly I agree
    Do you by any chance know if Kent is a good uni ? ( like how good its rep is )

ReputationRep:
    Sadly I agree
    It's not in the same league as UCL, Durham and Kent but it is still considered a good uni. Also UCL have been known to reject people accepted by Oxbridge, its insanely competitive.

ReputationRep:
    Try adjustment. That way you will not lose Kent but will be able to go to better universities.

ReputationRep:
    Sadly I agree
    A family friends daughter graduated from Kent last year. She seemed to have the time of her life! I just saw on Facebook that she's back in Canterbury today, visiting. That seems like a good sign to me.

Posted from TSR Mobile

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
    Applying to uni

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Graduates celebrate

How to write a good personal statement

Expert PS advice from the people who will read it

Uni match

Uni match

Can't decide where to apply? Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Two students working together

A-Z of universities

Read our guides to unis and colleges from around the UK

A student working on a computer

Personal statement help

Use our tool to get your ideal PS quickly!

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student looking down a microscope

Planning open days

Find upcoming open days and get advice on preparing.

Help out other students

These questions still need an answer

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.