Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Thinking of going to a bar by myself. Watch

I recently moved house ( well it was earlier this year before exam season ) and I have no friends within a 2hr radius , I know literally no one in my area . The friends I do have are all on holiday.

I'm kinda sick of being in the house all the time , so i've been forcing myself to go out and do things alone : read in parks , go to the cinemas etc People probably think im wierd but idgaf .

Next thing I wanted to try was going to a bar alone but I fear it might not go well , bars are usually very sociable places and I fear I might make myself look incredibly weird if I just go to a bar and look into my drink like an alcoholic.

Might try chat up a bird or two but again as im by myself im probably going to look incredibly weird.

I'm an 18 year old guy but I look much older then I am.

Opinions ?

ReputationRep:
    If you have a bar game then you should not worry. I am in a similar situation and I went by myself in a club twice, and once I met a sociable and tipsy guy who introduced me to his girl friends... so yeah, try it. Bars are not clubs so talking is encouraged.

(Original post by HawkEyeArcher)
    If you have a bar game then you should not worry. I am in a similar situation and I went by myself in a club twice, and once I met a sociable and tipsy guy who introduced me to his girl friends... so yeah, try it. Bars are not clubs so talking is encouraged.
    ive never actually been to a bar tbh , my friends are more into clubbing .

I feel my game is decent and should serve me well in a bar but im just feeling as someone bymyself in a fully lit bar im going to stick out like a sore thumb and come off needy if I approach a girl .

Thats what I love about clubbing , situations like that . Its much easier to just blend with anyone as its dim , everyone half drunk etc

Thanks for the advice mate , im gonna think about it.

Sorry for the rather immediate bump but I just wanted more opinions on it , a girls opinion would help alot.

ReputationRep:
    Why not go to a restaurant instead.

ReputationRep:
    This is absolutely fine. I have always checked out the local when arriving in a new area. There's always the bar staff to chat to, sitting at a bar alone is not viewed as weird and invariably you get chatting some other local. You may even find your future marriage partner there..

(Original post by Stinkum)
    Why not go to a restaurant instead.
    :confused: Resturants are places where people go to eat with their families , nothing would be gained by going there.

(Original post by Zarek)
    This is absolutely fine. I have always checked out the local when arriving in a new area. There's always the bar staff to chat to, sitting at a bar alone is not viewed as weird and invariably you get chatting some other local. You may even find your future marriage partner there..
    This is reassuring , thinking I might just go and have a drink or two and see how it goes . I dont have to stay the whole night . Its always liberating doing these kind of things that society seems to stigmatize .

ReputationRep:
    It's fine to go by yourself if you're confident enough. Maybe chat to mixed groups, not just girls if you want to make friends? Try going during a busier time so if things get awkward with one group, you can disappear into the crowd. Tell people you're new to the area and want to know about (whatever you're into, e.g. live music scene etc) Good luck.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    This is reassuring , thinking I might just go and have a drink or two and see how it goes . I dont have to stay the whole night . Its always liberating doing these kind of things that society seems to stigmatize .
    Go for it mate. Chose somewhere with a vivacious barmaid if you can.

ReputationRep:
    Usually I don't mind people going out alone, but after reading your posts, it seems all you want to do is get laid and meet sum gullz!!!!1!!one!

I just dislike chavs who think that SEX is what makes the world go round.

FFS, you're a loner. First things first. Mates THEN gf. :rolleyes:

And in the real world, people don't talk to each other in bars, unless its a student union bar maybe.

(Original post by Isambard Kingdom Brunel)
    Usually I don't mind people going out alone, but after reading your posts, it seems all you want to do is get laid and meet sum gullz!!!!1!!one!

FFS, you're a loner. First things first. Mates THEN gf. :rolleyes:

And in the real world, people don't talk to each other in bars, unless its a student union bar maybe.
    mate getting laid isnt my priority here , im just trying to meet new people both guys and girls . I'm not a loner I have friends , dont be mad , I'm just new to this area.

(Original post by Isambard Kingdom Brunel)

:confused: you think middle class guys dont have just as much sexual urges as chavs

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    :confused: you think middle class guys dont have just as much sexual urges as chavs
    Middle class people realise that you don't get anywhere in life without an education. Middle class people also realise that sex is private, and not something to boast about on tawdry message boards.

Chavs think they wont get anywhere in life unless their bird is preggerz as a teenaga.

ReputationRep:
    Have done it myself when in strange cities and had a decent time.

Need to be confident and chatty to pull it off, going to a bar and sitting there alone for hours and just soaking is weird yeah. Chat to the locals and you'll probably make a few barstool pals quickly enough. Probably mainly middle aged geezers tbh but you might get talking to someone interesting as well

ReputationRep:
    A man was alone and he walked into a bar.

Spoiler:
    Show
    With either interpretation of the above story, ouch!

ReputationRep:
    I've done it a few times. Usually manage to strike up conversation with some people. Nothing wrong with a casual few pints by yourself at the pub.

ReputationRep:
    Probably depends on the bar a little would have thought there would be a strong likiehood it could be awkward. People tend to attach themselves in groups a bit. Also, be careful not to impose yourself on someone. No harm for a quick drink at the bar though but wouldn't expect anything.

ReputationRep:
    Why do people make such a big deal out of things like this? If you want to do it, then do it without making such a big deal.

Every now and then after a tough day's work, I fancy a relaxing pint. And guess where I can get relaxing pints from? That's right, the pub.

You don't need company for everything in life that you do you know.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: July 22, 2014
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.