Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

independent driving in practical test Watch

ReputationRep:
    My question is if you go into a wrong road, when you're supposed to follow signs to central london or whatever, do you fail you're test because of this or do you get a minor?

ReputationRep:
    Unless they have changed it neither. They are simply checking for the same errors as in the rest of the test.

ReputationRep:
    Nope, absolutely not. You will not be penalised at all for taking a wrong turn (won't even get a minor), as long as you don't make a serious fault while taking a wrong turn e.g. turning into a road with a no entry sign, turning the wrong way into a one-way road, etc. As long as it's safe and legal, it doesn't matter if you take a wrong direction. So don't worry about it at all.

ReputationRep:
    Getting lost, taking a wrong turn etc. will not be penalised. Your instructor is testing you on your ability to drive independently and not make minor/major faults as you go along. Of course it's ideal that you follow signs successfully to the correct destination, but you won't get faults for turning down the wrong road unless you do it unsafely.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SpicyStrawberry)
    Getting lost, taking a wrong turn etc. will not be penalised. Your instructor is testing you on your ability to drive independently and not make minor/major faults as you go along. Of course it's ideal that you follow signs successfully to the correct destination, but you won't get faults for turning down the wrong road unless you do it unsafely.
    ok so if I tell him during the independent driving, "is it straight ahead or left" he wont mark me down
    • Peer Support Volunteers
    • Reporter Team
    • Study Helper
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by daydreamer93)
    My question is if you go into a wrong road, when you're supposed to follow signs to central london or whatever, do you fail you're test because of this or do you get a minor?
    You won't fail, they'll just change the route that they were originally planning. As long as you don't make a fault while taking the wrong turn that is.

ReputationRep:
    You won't be given a minor for it as long as you don't continue to drive safely. If you ask which way it is they probably won't tell you though.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by daydreamer93)
    ok so if I tell him during the independent driving, "is it straight ahead or left" he wont mark me down
    Things will get interesting if you say that while in a right turn only lane.

The biggest cause of failure on independent driving is going the wrong way from a clearly marked traffic lane.

If you have to ask, then it's not really independent driving. Do what you would do if completely alone. Also don't be surprised or offended if the response comes back as "You decide."

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Advisor)
    Things will get interesting if you say that while in a right turn only lane.

The biggest cause of failure on independent driving is going the wrong way from a clearly marked traffic lane.

If you have to ask, then it's not really independent driving. Do what you would do if completely alone. Also don't be surprised or offended if the response comes back as "You decide."
    yeah no of course, I wont ask him if its a right lane only or something similar, but if I'm at crossroads for example and forgot which turn he told me to take, or if I didnt catch the road sign etc

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: July 23, 2014
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.