Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Myself and some friends have planned on moving in together for the next year of uni. The only problem is the house we all like has two large rooms and two small rooms so inevitably there is going to be problems around who gets what room, and from what I understand we will be paying the same regardless of what size room we get.

Does anyone who has been in this situation before have any solutions or care to explain how they resolved a similar problem like this?

ReputationRep:
    Organise it so you pay different amounts. I've been in a room a third of the size of my housemate's and it's frustrated me for two years that I pay the same as her.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SmallTownGirl)
    Organise it so you pay different amounts. I've been in a room a third of the size of my housemate's and it's frustrated me for two years that I pay the same as her.
    Yeah that is exactly what I was thinking, well oddly enough we have all agreed we will switch rooms each term.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Gonzolo)
    Yeah that is exactly what I was thinking, well oddly enough we have all agreed we will switch rooms each term.
    That's a nightmare. You'll just settle into somewhere and you'll have to move all your stuff.

ReputationRep:
    I had this problem as well, we all had varying bedrooms from a single to a double bed in each room. But exchanging money every weeks can become abit of a headache and is really easy to forget. But we just made sure the guy with the best room had the largest share of the chores to do and the guy with the worst room had smallest share of the chores.

It worked for us and we had absolutely no arguments. However you will definetly need to really get along with your housemates for that to work.

ReputationRep:
    I recommend yous split the rent accordingly... Even if its just twenty quid difference a month.. I have the smallest room in my flat, so i pay a little less rent. It worked for us last year and had no issues in changing the rent around room size

ReputationRep:
    Well I recently found a better house which is cheaper and much larger rooms so hopefully it will be fair and no one will feel hard done by.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    Find out more

Accommodation profiles:

Prodigy Living

Prodigy Living

Accommodation in 15 cities across the UK, with 24 sites providing modern, stylish en suite and studio rooms close to the major universities.

iQ Student Accommodation

iQ Student Accommodation

Great value student rooms in city centre locations all across the UK

X1 Lettings

X1 Lettings

Luxury student accommodation in Liverpool & Manchester.

Collegiate Accommodation

Collegiate Accommodation

"This is student living. Just better."

Scape Student Living

Study Inn

Providing stunning high quality, boutique student accommodation throughout the UK

The Student Housing Company

The Student Housing Company

Award-winning student accommodation across the UK.

Universal Student Living

Universal Student Living

“All-inclusive student accommodation in prime locations across the UK.”

Articles:

Student accommodation articles What to take to uniDo I need a TV licence?

Quick link:

Unanswered student accommodation threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.