Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    So I got a brand new iPhone 5S off Carphone Warehouse a few days ago. When I got it out the box there were two very tiny dents next to the mute button, which was a bit annoying but as they're so small I kind of just left it. Today under bright light I noticed a very light scratch on the back of the phone. It's barely noticeable and you can't see it unless you know it's there and look for it, but it's just annoying when you purchase a new phone - you expect it to be in perfect condition.

Anyway, I contacted Apple and they said the best thing to do would be to get Carphone Warehouse to look at it and they should be able to repair it. I just want to know if anyone's had any experience with them repairing iPhones? I know they can definitely exchange it for a new phone but I don't want that - I've got all my stuff on this one and I'd rather just keep it. So what can they do? Will they be able to get rid of the scratches? Or does anyone have tips for me to get rid of them myself? They're very small and light so I'm sure some buffing out or some polish or something can get rid of them.

ReputationRep:
    Buy a case and put it on. I don't know if they'll be able to repair but they might offer you a replacement phone if they believe it was given to you in that condition. What does it matter what anyone on here thinks when you should contact Carphone warehouse to find out?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Reptilian)
    Buy a case and put it on. I don't know if they'll be able to repair but they might offer you a replacement phone if they believe it was given to you in that condition. What does it matter what anyone on here thinks when you should contact Carphone warehouse to find out?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I've contacted them and they've said just to bring it into the store and they'll see what they can do. Just want to know if it's worth the hassle if all they're gonna do is offer me a new phone when I want to keep this one. I just want someone to remove the scratches
    • Reporter Team

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LittleMissCurious)
    I've contacted them and they've said just to bring it into the store and they'll see what they can do. Just want to know if it's worth the hassle if all they're gonna do is offer me a new phone when I want to keep this one. I just want someone to remove the scratches
    Any warranty it has will almost definitely not cover purely cosmetic damage, so you'll probably have to demand they replace it because it was supplied in poor condition, assuming they decline to repair it as is likely.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Gofre)
    Any warranty it has will almost definitely not cover purely cosmetic damage, so you'll probably have to demand they replace it because it was supplied in poor condition, assuming they decline to repair it as is likely.
    Why is it unlikely they'll repair it? I was told I have a 14-day period or something? I just assumed they could repair it as long as it was within that period
    • Reporter Team

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LittleMissCurious)
    Why is it unlikely they'll repair it? I was told I have a 14-day period or something? I just assumed they could repair it as long as it was within that period
    As I said before, because the damage is purely cosmetic- I definitely agree with you that you should not receive a new phone in less than perfect condition, but it's not affecting the phone's usability, and their warranty will almost definitely stipulate that they're not obliged to cover cosmetic damage. You may have a case to return it on the grounds that it wasn't in good condition when you bought it, and they'll replace it, but if you said "fix this particular phone please" they'd probably say "no".

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Gofre)
    As I said before, because the damage is purely cosmetic- I definitely agree with you that you should not receive a new phone in less than perfect condition, but it's not affecting the phone's usability, and their warranty will almost definitely stipulate that they're not obliged to cover cosmetic damage. You may have a case to return it on the grounds that it wasn't in good condition when you bought it, and they'll replace it, but if you said "fix this particular phone please" they'd probably say "no".
    Ok, well I guess it's worth a try... I could always try a phone repair shop. Do you know anything about removing scratches? I could just try and do it myself, I've heard of some products that you can just buy online? Like cloths and sprays and stuff?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Gofre)
    I've decided to go with just getting a replacement. Do you think they'll replace it for me if I've used some of the memory?

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    Useful resources

Quick link:

Unanswered mobile phones threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.