Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    As someone who wants a career in Human Resources, Management etc, would a Masters and a PHD in Business Administration / International Business be a benefit when it comes to a career?
    • Community Assistant
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by KindofGood)
    As someone who wants a career in Human Resources, Management etc, would a Masters and a PHD in Business Administration / International Business be a benefit when it comes to a career?
    No. A PhD is a research degree which would be of no value to an employer if you were simply working in HR. It might be something that would add value in 20-30 years time when you were an HR Director of a company, but 99% of them don't need one.

An MBA might be an advantage in your late 20s, early 30's, but basically HR is a people to people skill base, not an academic skill base, so experience is what is going to get you advancement in a career, not academic certificates (barring professional qualifications like CIPD etc).

ReputationRep:
    I would add that the topic of your PHD is also of importance. On the one hand it is a research degree, on the other hand it allows to follow your passion and if those skills acquired during your PHD and/or your passion matches what the company search, then it can be useful and might lead to very interesting positions. Doing a PHD simply to get a better career probably will be only disappointing.

ReputationRep:
    As someone who works in HR, it is not worth it AT ALL. Employers require you to have experience, I couldn't find any HR work for about 9 months because I lacked experience, I have a Merit in my MSc HRM but had no experience. It's a field where someone will learn FAR more in a work setting for 6 months, then 3 years in an academic setting I assure you. The information you learn is more focused obviously on what your organisation requires and the function as a whole rather than empty theoretical information that is very rarely applicable in a work setting.

I would say get a Degree and Look to do an internship WHILST you are doing your degree (potentially in the summer holidays) and then by the time you graduate you will be loving it.

What I did was get my Masters and then I searched for paid employment in the HR field to no avail, I then found some HR based work experience at a local college which eventually led me receive a number of invites to interviews for HR roles and in my third interview I got the job.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.