Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Okay so basically I will be starting uni this year to do musical theatre, however...

I've basically had a really crap year at college as I've been dealing with a lot of anxiety issues and panic attacks. So when I applied for the course I wasn't in a great frame of mind as I hadn't really thought about it too much. I do love performing but when I think about long term I don't really know whether its something that's gonna get me very far, and I've been having second thoughts about what I want to do. My second option has always been teaching as I love working with children however if I did this I would probably have to take a year off anyway, as I only 270 out of 280 points. Oh and I've already payed the 300 pound accommodation fee. Should I just go along and see what happens or what?

sorry for the ridiculously long question hahaa

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jas7_18)
    Okay so basically I will be starting uni this year to do musical theatre, however...

I've basically had a really crap year at college as I've been dealing with a lot of anxiety issues and panic attacks. So when I applied for the course I wasn't in a great frame of mind as I hadn't really thought about it too much. I do love performing but when I think about long term I don't really know whether its something that's gonna get me very far, and I've been having second thoughts about what I want to do. My second option has always been teaching as I love working with children however if I did this I would probably have to take a year off anyway, as I only 270 out of 280 points. Oh and I've already payed the 300 pound accommodation fee. Should I just go along and see what happens or what?

sorry for the ridiculously long question hahaa
    I would say to go for an option that will give u better career prospective, if u were to so performing, what do u see yourself doing in the future? It's a very competitive degree, so to become successful would be very hard. Also if you were to go into teaching, what would u be wanting to teach? If u are dealing with anxiety, it would properly be a good idea to take a year out, I've heard of many people who entered unit with anxiety which led to depression and it effected them very badly at Uni causing them to fail modules etc etc. of you take a year out you could get some work experience in teaching and performing, let's say a couple of months in one and a couple of months in another, and see which area you are more interested in.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Oh yh is there anyway that you can get your £300 back?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Thankyou for replying. I wanna teach primary education and yeah taking a year out looks like the best option right now. No I had a 30 day period to get my £300 back and it's past that.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jas7_18)
    Thankyou for replying. I wanna teach primary education and yeah taking a year out looks like the best option right now. No I had a 30 day period to get my £300 back and it's past that.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Then yh I would advice you to take a year out and get some work experience as a teacher assistant and see if teaching is actually what u want to do. Also you will get to see what area of teaching you would want to go into, my friend studied sports therapy and now teaches PE in a primary school. You could still try to get a partial refund from your student accommodation.

Posted from TSR Mobile

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.