Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Can anyone give any positives for dismantling the NHS? Watch

ReputationRep:
    Anyone?

ReputationRep:
    Why would anyone want to dismantle it?! Despite what the media says, the NHS is an essential part of life here in the UK. I can't imagine the scale of the uproar that would result from someone trying to privatise all healthcare in this country. It may not be a perfect model for how a healthcare service is run, and it's far from perfect, but it's definitely needed.

ReputationRep:
    There were probably lots of poor kids in your class at primary school, but remember that poor kid who you hated? He won't be able to get any healthcare!
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    I'm well off enough that I'd be alright and get a tele in my room at hospital.

However, not being a heartless ******, I don't think that's a particularly persuasuve argument.

ReputationRep:
    NHS free at point of use as an overall principle is here to stay I would think. Perhaps the introduction of small fees as an efficiency measure, but I can't envisage a day where you are required to shell out more than that for access to health care.

I think there are plenty of positives from outsourcing and competition, but I as we can learn from the rail network you need to get that balance right or its just state provided profits with none of the benefit a private company can provide.

ReputationRep:
    No, because that should never be considered.

ReputationRep:
    For the amount of tax the average person pays that goes towards the NHS.. they could get far better private health insurance.

ReputationRep:
    A system which was funded by the government but run by numerous private companies would be more efficient and allow for a greater degree of patient choice, allowing better run hospitals to buy out poorer ones and thus facilitating improvements while avoiding turning the whole thing into quite the giant money sink it currently is.

ReputationRep:
    Private healthcare is better if you can afford it, so I rarely use the NHS anyway. It would also mean less tax.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by chrisawhitmore)
    A system which was funded by the government but run by numerous private companies would be more efficient and allow for a greater degree of patient choice, allowing better run hospitals to buy out poorer ones and thus facilitating improvements while avoiding turning the whole thing into quite the giant money sink it currently is.
    Rubbish. Do you know what that actually means? Did you copy and paste that from the Tory website?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Fizzel)
    NHS free at point of use as an overall principle is here to stay I would think. Perhaps the introduction of small fees as an efficiency measure, but I can't envisage a day where you are required to shell out more than that for access to health care.

I think there are plenty of positives from outsourcing and competition, but I as we can learn from the rail network you need to get that balance right or its just state provided profits with none of the benefit a private company can provide.
    I'd say the lesson from rail is pretty simple: for competition to be effective, consumers must have a genuine choice between services.

If there's only one hospital in a 100 mile radius, then there's no point privatizing, it wont be improved. If there's 3 in the same city (as with my city) then 3 different groups could compete on quality of care. If the government set the amount of money the hospital received for each procedure or item of care, then the competition would be on who could provide the best care cheapest, which is exactly what you want.

Oh, and to fix railways, one simply needs to split the franchises up so that it's not 1 company per route. On major routes, it should be a different company each time the train comes (say every 15 minutes). That way if one is really awful, you'd go 15 mins earlier and get a different company (or if the one 15 mins earlier was cheaper or whatever)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tengentoppa)
    Private healthcare is better if you can afford it, so I rarely use the NHS anyway. It would also mean less tax.
    No it wouldn't. The government will just award your tax money to private companies.

(Original post by rich2606)
    For the amount of tax the average person pays that goes towards the NHS.. they could get far better private health insurance.
    Average wage in the UK is £26,500. Do you know how much operations cost?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheAnusFiles)
    Rubbish. Do you know what that actually means? Did you copy and paste that from the Tory website?
    Nope, that's not at all what the tories are doing, more's the pity. They're just outsourcing small bits which can be done cheaper by private companies while keeping the whole management heavy, bloated, expensive nightmare that is a government run company with no competitors.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheAnusFiles)
    No it wouldn't. The government will just award your tax money to private companies.

Average wage in the UK is £26,500. Do you know how much operations cost?
    Do you know what health insurance is?

ReputationRep:
    Do you know what health insurance is?
    Yes, but where do you think that money is going to come from? Thin air?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rich2606)
    Only because private healthcare is propped up by the NHS (buildings, equipment, staff, A&E if a private operation goes wrong etc).

(Original post by tengentoppa)
    Lets look at the biggest privatized healthcare system in the world. The US.
    It actually costs MORE in tax per person than the NHS does. And you still then have to fork out for healthcare insurance, or hope you're employer covers you, or go without (as many do).

ReputationRep:
    Nope, that's not at all what the tories are doing, more's the pity. They're just outsourcing small bits which can be done cheaper by private companies while keeping the whole management heavy, bloated, expensive nightmare that is a government run company with no competitors.
    The Tories made the management more bloated than it was before; and do you honestly think private companies have the interests of the patients at heart?

ReputationRep:
    I suppose it'd force all the chongers claiming benefits who don't pay anything into the system to put their hand in their pockets.
    You never know... it might prompt them to actually get jobs!

ReputationRep:
    -people take advantage of the NHS because it is free
    - it is aa bloated public sector organisation which squanders millions
    - health tourists would no longer be able to come here to get free health

ReputationRep:

America's is the worst in the developed world
    Attached Images

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.