Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Useful books/ extra curriculum for applying for pharmacy at uni Watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    I desperately want to study pharmacy at preferably Nottingham/Manchester in 2015.

If anyone has any good books about pharmacy ethics, dispensing or just anything pharmacy/medicine related that are not too complex to understand which you think would be looked at as great by the uni's, I would love to know

I have done a fair bit of work experience but I just want my application to stand out with extra curriculum. Also reading pharmacy related books would probs help me at interviews.

If anyone has any tips about applying to manc/nott too then I would appreciate anything really.

Thanks

ReputationRep:
    I read quite a lot but none really helped me in the interviews, it just looked good on my personal statement. None of mine actually asked me about them though. There's an ethics and practice guide for pharmacists and technicians but the most useful parts of that you can find online anyway (seven principles, definitely learn those), and another I quite liked was Communication skills for pharmacists. It's good to keep up with pharmacy news though, again you can find that online

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kkbs)
    I desperately want to study pharmacy at preferably Nottingham/Manchester in 2015.

If anyone has any good books about pharmacy ethics, dispensing or just anything pharmacy/medicine related that are not too complex to understand which you think would be looked at as great by the uni's, I would love to know

I have done a fair bit of work experience but I just want my application to stand out with extra curriculum. Also reading pharmacy related books would probs help me at interviews.

If anyone has any tips about applying to manc/nott too then I would appreciate anything really.

Thanks
    word your personal statement well yes and prepare for the interview

but the main thing is GRADES.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kkbs)

Thanks
    Be on your toes when it comes to pharmacy / health care news - I would suggest reading through http://www.pharmaceutical-journal.com/ once a week or so. I do so and it helps me to keep up to date with what's happening in the world of health care (more so than news sites like the BBC, which don't always have evidence-based reasoning).

Hope this helps!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by demetria)
    I read quite a lot but none really helped me in the interviews, it just looked good on my personal statement. None of mine actually asked me about them though. There's an ethics and practice guide for pharmacists and technicians but the most useful parts of that you can find online anyway (seven principles, definitely learn those), and another I quite liked was Communication skills for pharmacists. It's good to keep up with pharmacy news though, again you can find that online
    Thank you, Yes I need to start reading BBC Health regularly.
    How did you find the interviews?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by thegodofgod)
    Be on your toes when it comes to pharmacy / health care news - I would suggest reading through http://www.pharmaceutical-journal.com/ once a week or so. I do so and it helps me to keep up to date with what's happening in the world of health care (more so than news sites like the BBC, which don't always have evidence-based reasoning).

Hope this helps!
    Thanks a lot, just registered on their website

ReputationRep:
    I wasn't as on the ball as I would like to have been with regards to all this kind of thing when I applied, but as others have mentioned, try and keep abreast of Pharmacy current affairs.
    Reading articles like this one doesn't take much time out of your day, but it's something you could mention in an interview: http://www.pharmaceutical-journal.co...065879.article

I'm quite a book nerd, I have a completely unnecessary number of books and at the moment I've been reading up on law, this is a great little book if you're especially keen: http://www.amazon.co.uk/FASTtrack-La...=fasttrack+law

Best of luck applying!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TB95)
    I wasn't as on the ball as I would like to have been with regards to all this kind of thing when I applied, but as others have mentioned, try and keep abreast of Pharmacy current affairs.
    Reading articles like this one doesn't take much time out of your day, but it's something you could mention in an interview: http://www.pharmaceutical-journal.co...065879.article

I'm quite a book nerd, I have a completely unnecessary number of books and at the moment I've been reading up on law, this is a great little book if you're especially keen: http://www.amazon.co.uk/FASTtrack-La...=fasttrack+law

Best of luck applying!
    Thanks a lot. Surprisngly i have already read that article from the phew I have read. lol im very keen also so I may invest in that book Where did you apply?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kkbs)
    Thanks a lot. Surprisngly i have already read that article from the phew I have read. lol im very keen also so I may invest in that book Where did you apply?
    Applied to Liverpool, Bradford, Kingston, Reading and Sunderland. Got offers from Kingston and Liverpool, but as soon as I got an offer from Sunderland I withdrew my other applications because Sunderland was the place for me! I've loved my first year, met some great people, really enjoyed the course, never looked back

ReputationRep:
    *few. That's great! Did u have any interviews/ mathematics tests? I'm very worried about maths ability being tested/scenario questions. Do u remember any of the tough things u were asked during interviews?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kkbs)
    *few. That's great! Did u have any interviews/ mathematics tests? I'm very worried about maths ability being tested/scenario questions. Do u remember any of the tough things u were asked during interviews?
    When I applied to Brighton, our interview was a group-style one, which consisted of a lecturer and a group of 5 applicants. One of our tasks was to make a 5-min presentation on any subject of your choice to the lecturer and the group - in order to assess your communication skills. We didn't have any of the 'Why pharmacy?' or 'Why Brighton?' questions - nothing pharmacy-related at all to be honest.

Hope this helps!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by thegodofgod)
    When I applied to Brighton, our interview was a group-style one, which consisted of a lecturer and a group of 5 applicants. One of our tasks was to make a 5-min presentation on any subject of your choice to the lecturer and the group - in order to assess your communication skills. We didn't have any of the 'Why pharmacy?' or 'Why Brighton?' questions - nothing pharmacy-related at all to be honest.

Hope this helps!

thats very different. Sounds pretty good though, I think im going to apply there also

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.