Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

My PS3, Bruvz, keeps overheating. What shall I do? Watch

ReputationRep:
    Its making a loud whirling noise, like its about to explode or summat.

Is it actually worth putting a wet flannel over it, or is that an electric shock/fire risk?

ReputationRep:
    That happened to my friends PS3 for ages. Couple months down the line it broke.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Put a wet towel on it? You serious?

Get a fan, point it at it, problem solved

ReputationRep:
    Look forward to the roast potato you will soon have.

ReputationRep:
    i have the fat one and sometimes it make a loud fan noise that shuts down

when im playing cod it shuts down randomly

what's going on

ReputationRep:
    you should get a new one

ReputationRep:
    You wot m8? Bruvs? 0.o

Where do you put it? Don't put it on the carpet.
    Don't like turn it off while a game/something is up. Quit what ever you are doing and then turn it off.
    Don't turn it on and off loads.
    You're probably on it too much.

And what? Are you dizzy bruh? Put something wet on it? Lmfao.
    No don't do that. There is nothing you can really do. Go get it fixed or buy a new one.

ReputationRep:
    I would recommend putting something wet on it.

If you want to repair it quickly, I would suggest dipping it into a bath tub, relatively full.

ReputationRep:
    i had this problem with my fat 120gb japanese ps3. i took mine apart, cleaned out all the dust, tightened the screws on the fan and replaced the thermal paste on the cpu. its now running beautifully, its much quieter and it doesnt turn itself off like it did before. you need a 6 point screw driver to undo the cover but i just forced it out, its caused a small crack on the cover but i dont mind it. theres videos on youtube to guide you, you need to force the plastic to bend to get the motherboard out and you run the risk of messing up your ps3 if you put too much thermal paste. its better to get someone to fix it for you.

ReputationRep:
    Why are you playing the PS3 that's so outdated like so 2006?

Spoiler:
    Show

(inb4 I own a PS3 myself ;P)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by pinejuice)
    i had this problem with my fat 120gb japanese ps3. i took mine apart, cleaned out all the dust, tightened the screws on the fan and replaced the thermal paste on the cpu. its now running beautifully, its much quieter and it doesnt turn itself off like it did before. you need a 6 point screw driver to undo the cover but i just forced it out, its caused a small crack on the cover but i dont mind it. theres videos on youtube to guide you, you need to force the plastic to bend to get the motherboard out and you run the risk of messing up your ps3 if you put too much thermal paste. its better to get someone to fix it for you.
    As long as you're not a ****ing idiot that's hardly a risk (just because you payed for the whole syringe doesn't mean you need to use all of it). Also pretty much pointless.

Tightening the screws on the fan will also do nothing for thermals.

Just blast it with some compressed air, use a spudger to get dust out of hard to reach areas, try not to scrape anything off a PCB.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by alow)
    As long as you're not a ****ing idiot that's hardly a risk (just because you payed for the whole syringe doesn't mean you need to use all of it). Also pretty much pointless.

Tightening the screws on the fan will also do nothing for thermals.

Just blast it with some compressed air, use a spudger to get dust out of hard to reach areas, try not to scrape anything off a PCB.
    thermal paste only prevents the cpu from burning up which really isnt that important in an overheating ps3 and i guess tightening the screws wont make a ps3 quieter, its not like its rattling against the sides of the heat sink.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by alow)
    Look forward to the roast potato you will soon have.
    :eating:

ReputationRep:
    Throw it in the bin and buy a gaming PC. Consoles suck so much, they are trash and they belong in the garbage can.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by pinejuice)
    thermal paste only prevents the cpu from burning up which really isnt that important in an overheating ps3 and i guess tightening the screws wont make a ps3 quieter, its not like its rattling against the sides of the heat sink.
    That's not what thermal paste does. Thermal paste helps the heat to conduct from the processor to the heat exchanger/heatsink. If it was applied properly to begin with there's no need to apply it again for a very long time.

Tightening the screws too much will actually make it louder as it may start to resonate with the case at certain angular speeds. Using rubber washers/fittings helps with this as it prevents metal-on-metal contact with the case.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Zeroic)
    i have the fat one and sometimes it make a loud fan noise that shuts down

when im playing cod it shuts down randomly

what's going on
    The fan is loud, because it's trying to keep your console cool inside. The console shuts itself down, because it's probably overheating. That isn't good, but it's inevitable with the old fat version. The newer games seem to take their toll on them. Be prepared for the YLOD. How long has it been doing it for?

ReputationRep:
    I put mine in a bucket of water to cool off, but the damage was already done, the heat must have melted something inside as it didn't even switch on after I dried it off.

ReputationRep:
    Playstations piss me off. I've been through 4 PS3's and when I got PS4, I took it out of the box and it didnt work.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: July 20, 2014
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you rather give up salt or pepper?
    Useful resources
    AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.