Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Is this socially acceptable? Watch

ReputationRep:
    Before I start I'll say that I get self-conscious easily.
    I'm really into a guy that's nearly three years younger than me. I hope it works out because he's really made me fall in love. Mainly his personality. My question is, Is it seen as socially acceptable for a guy to be over two years younger in a relationship? I mean a proper intimate relationship leading to marriage. Even if people say no, it won't change anything, but I want to know about if other people, especially other girls will see it as socially unacceptable to see another girl getting married to a guy that's nearly three years younger than her.

ReputationRep:
    Sure, it's totally fine I guess you're 23? So he's in his twenties too, it's not like he's 15.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by zahra91)
    I'm really into a guy that's nearly three years younger than me. I hope it works out because he's really made me fall in love. Mainly his personality. My question is, Is it seen as socially acceptable for a guy to be over two years younger in a relationship? I mean a proper intimate relationship leading to marriage. Even if people say no, it won't change anything, but I want to know about if other people, especially other girls will see it as socially unacceptable to see another girl getting married to a guy that's nearly three years younger than her.
    COugarrrr

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Skip_Snip)
    Sure, it's totally fine I guess you're 23? So he's in his twenties too, it's not like he's 15.
    Yes, I'm 23 and he's 21. The age difference seems to have less of a big jumping affect as you mention older people. Like hopefully, I'll be 56 and he'll be 54 one day.

ReputationRep:
    That's not really anything at your age. When you're in your teens, it's quite different as there is often a larger gap in maturity.

ReputationRep:
    It's completely fine, obviously.

ReputationRep:
    The way I see it:

When you were 18, he was 15 or nearly 16 :lolwut:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rosie786)
    The way I see it:

When you were 18, he was 15 or nearly 16 :lolwut:
    We weren't together at that age.

ReputationRep:
    Well my parents are 7 years apart with my dad younger- and they met in their 20s

ReputationRep:
    The fact you have had to ask this question leads me to believe he is too mature for you I'm afraid.

ReputationRep:
    We weren't together at that age.
    Lol I was joking.

Its fine girl. :yep:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MJ1012)
    The fact you have had to ask this question leads me to believe he is too mature for you I'm afraid.
    why?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by marm-alade)
    Well my parents are 7 years apart with my dad younger- and they met in their 20s
    I think that's fine. To be honest, I don't(and shouldn't) care about other people's relationships and I hope other people don't care about mine. Everyone can be with who they want to and no one should interfere.

ReputationRep:
    Yes, I'm 23 and he's 21. The age difference seems to have less of a big jumping affect as you mention older people. Like hopefully, I'll be 56 and he'll be 54 one day.
    Yeah nothing wrong with it. Ages only get dodgy when one is under 18 and one is over and there's a few years between the two (obviously an 11 year old dating a 17 year old is bad and they're both under 18 but lets be serious, 11 year olds aren't dating they are being taken to the cinema with a parent to supervise haha, so you know what I mean).

It's about maturity levels, not real ages, mostly. You will be of similar maturity and stages in life at your ages so it's totally acceptable.

ReputationRep:
    I think that's fine. To be honest, I don't(and shouldn't) care about other people's relationships and I hope other people don't care about mine. Everyone can be with who they want to and no one should interfere.
    Agree to a certain extent but, for example, if my 14 year old daughter comes home with a 23 year old on her arm I will definitely be interfering the **** out of that.

Ps not being rude at all ( ) just had to point out you obviously do care about something here or you wouldn't have first asked, and second mentioned that you were self-conscious. But nothing to worry about anyway, it's not a bad gap that people will comment on or think about twice really. You just might get some "got yourself a toy boy" jokey comments.

ReputationRep:
    One of my best mates is going out with a 40 y.o female at 19, few raised eyebrows but other than that no one's fussed!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lou_100)
    Agree to a certain extent but, for example, if my 14 year old daughter comes home with a 23 year old on her arm I will definitely be interfering the **** out of that.

Ps not being rude at all ( ) just had to point out you obviously do care about something here or you wouldn't have first asked, and second mentioned that you were self-conscious. But nothing to worry about anyway, it's not a bad gap that people will comment on or think about twice really. You just might get some "got yourself a toy boy" jokey comments.
    Our physical appearances and maturity levels are pretty much the same age. No one can tell that he's younger than me by looking. No one has even given joky comments yet. No one has said anything so far and that's why I made this thread. I want to know what most people actually feel about this inside.

ReputationRep:
    I don't see anything wrong with it, although my boyfriends have always been 2 years younger...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kayleighisonfire)
    I don't see anything wrong with it, although my boyfriends have always been 2 years younger...
    I know that most girls want guys older than them. To be honest I was initially looking for that, I don't know why. It just so happened that I'm really into this guy so that's why the age difference doesn't bother me.

ReputationRep:
    I know that most girls want guys older than them. To be honest I was initially looking for that, I don't know why. It just so happened that I'm really into this guy so that's why the age difference doesn't bother me.
    The same happened to me, I wouldn't let the age gap bother you too much as long as you're happy that's all that counts

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: July 22, 2014
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.