Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

V689 - Food Labelling Bill 2014 Watch

• View Poll Results: Should this bill be passed into law?
    As many are of the opinion, Aye
    64.29%
    On the contrary, No
    30.95%
    Abstain
    4.76%

• Community Assistant
    • Wiki Support Team
    • Political Ambassador
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    V689 - Food Labelling Bill 2014, TSR Opposition
    Food Labelling Act 2014

An Act to clarify to consumers whether meat is Halal or Kosher

BE IT ENACTED by the Queen’s most Excellent Majesty, by and with the advice and consent of the Lords Spiritual and Temporal, and Commons, in this present Parliament assembled, and by the authority of the same, as follows:—

1 Definitions

1 Halal meat is meat that is slaughtered in compliance with Islamic law.
    2 Kosher meat is meat that is slaughtered to comply with 'kashrut' standards and therefore means that the meat is 'Kosher'.
    3 Religious meat is meat that is slaughtered in compliance with Halal and/or Kosher standards.

2 Offence

1 It is an offence not to label Religious meat with an easily visible symbol to signify it's religious slaughter when the meat is being sold.
    2 It is an offence sell Religious meat in any form without disclosing to the consumer that it is Halal and/or Kosher before the delivery of the goods.

3 Enforcement and Exceptions

1 This rule will be enforced by the FSA (Food Standards Agency), this Act gives the FSA the right to search all premises that sell meat in any form in the UK. This rule will also be enforced with the powers given to the FSA by the Inhumane Slaughtering Bill 2014.

2 There are no exceptions to this Act for any reason.

4 Sanctions

1 Any Company found to be in contravention of 2.1 or 2.2 may receive a fine of £50000.
    2 Any Company found to be in contravention of 2.1 or 2.2 for a second time may receive a fine not exceeding £100000.

5 Commencement, Short Title and Extent

1 This Act may be cited as the
    Food Labelling Bill 2014.

2 This Act extends to the entire United Kingdom.

3 This Act will come into effect on the 1st of April 2015.

ReputationRep:
    Disgusting if this law is passed.
    Not only is the idea behind it motivated by hate, the writer of the law fails to understand technical complexity of different kinds of islamic law and suppliers not always aware if meat is halal as its imported from abroad.

the Fine is also very large, more than what you would get for employing a illegal immigrant, for what is essentially a victimless crime and an affects hardly anyone.

Also giving the FSA FBI style powers lol, madness
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by James222)
    Not only is the idea behind it motivated by hate, the writer of the law fails to understand technical complexity of different kinds of islamic law and suppliers not always aware if meat is halal as its imported from abroad.

the Fine is also very large, more than what you would get for employing a illegal immigrant, for what is essentially a victimless crime and an affects hardly anyone.

Completely agree.
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:

Hear, hear.

The right honourable member succinctly explains why this bill shouldn't pass.

I voiced previously that people have the right to know this info about what they're buying but these ridiculous fines haven't been lowered.

Since it looks like this is going to pass I hope that they'll be a bill at some point in the future that amends it and refunds the fines (or repeals it completely).

ReputationRep:

My right honourable friend puts quite frankly the problems I also have with the passing of this bill and this justifies my no vote.

ReputationRep:
    Although I am a muslim and dont believe halal meat inflict any more pain on the animal than any other methods, but I still support the fact that the consumer has the right to know. So aye

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by arminb)
    Although I am a muslim and dont believe halal meat inflict any more pain on the animal than any other methods, but I still support the fact that the consumer has the right to know. So aye
    Surely its for the Consumer to research and email companies to find out,its already illegal to commit fraud and lie about ingredients. to mandate such a thing by Central Government in my view is a unnecessary regulatory burden and may affect business up and down the country in the face of increased discrimination as many people dont know what Halal is and would assume its some special muslim thing.
    • Wiki Support Team
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Surely its for the Consumer to research and email companies to find out,its already illegal to commit fraud and lie about ingredients. to mandate such a thing by Central Government in my view is a unnecessary regulatory burden and may affect business up and down the country in the face of increased discrimination as many people dont know what Halal is and would assume its some special muslim thing.
    So are you going to propose a bill which removes all food standards altogether then? Because I can apply your argument to anything. Why is this any more of a regulatory burden than banning nitrates or making it illegal to lie on your ingredients list or whatever? Surely the consumer can do the legwork for just about anything? They shouldn't have to though. There are all sorts of regulations on food that are much more authoritarian than simply asking someone to include a little label and you don't appear to have a problem with them at all. This is just asking them to list how an animal was killed. If they aren't able to produce that information then they clearly don't know what the hell they're even selling And I'll be damned if they should be allowed to sell such a product at all.

I can't understand how you could oppose this from supposedly libertarian grounds when you voted in favour of banning alcohol advertising just two weeks ago.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jarred)
    So are you going to propose a bill which removes all food standards altogether then? Because I can apply your argument to anything. Why is this any more of a regulatory burden than banning nitrates or making it illegal to lie on your ingredients list or whatever? Surely the consumer can do the legwork for just about anything? They shouldn't have to though. There are all sorts of regulations on food that are much more authoritarian than simply asking someone to include a little label and you don't appear to have a problem with them at all. This is just asking them to list how an animal was killed. If they aren't able to produce that information then they clearly don't know what the hell they're even selling And I'll be damned if they should be allowed to sell such a product at all.

I can't understand how you could oppose this from supposedly libertarian grounds when you voted in favour of banning alcohol advertising just two weeks ago.
    no I am in favour of Food Standards...
    what I think you meant was a I opposed to labels which have nothing to do with the content of the product. I do not oppose labels per sey particularly if its important to large parts of the population ie calories.

Im sure you know that making dangerous ingredient illegal or lying to get a commercial advantage is not the same as not clarifying the halal status of a product ? surely you cannot suggest all three cases are in the same boat.

lying on your ingredients list is knowingly doing something with the intention of gain which is not the same as passively not displaying if meat is halal or not. We already have procedures in place to find the ingredients and its easier to display it. Should it be illegal to not label organic food ? or not label vegan food ? its also about how many people it affects, we look at the cost benefit analysis, do millions demand it, if so its worth the menu costs otherwise no

do you run a business ? a huge difference between finding out details like weight and calories which are already part of the established regulatory system as opposed to adding a new one and ie if a product meats HMC standards to be labeled halal. You can buy halal meat then cook it in non halal oil and the final product is not halal.

Ive opposed similar measures on mandates for healthy food, I dont know which vote your talking about, I probably followed the whips
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jarred)

You've basically disregarded everything else he said to back up his point.
    • Community Assistant
    • Wiki Support Team
    • Political Ambassador
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    The Ayes have it, the Ayes have it! Unlock!

TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: July 24, 2014
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
    Useful resources

Articles:

Debate and current affairs forum guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.