Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi guys,

Was just wondering if anyone had any thoughts in general what are the hours like in a big 4 firm in the B&CM department. I say in general because I do appreciate it depends on your client allocation and can be vary drastically between different peoples experiences.

And also if I was to work in this department for the duration of my 3 years, would it limit my job prospects in industry or even abroad to just banks and such as opposed to any company.

Thanks in advance guys

ReputationRep:
    Limit to only banks - no, but obviously it is somewhat helpful to have experience of the types of businesses you want to work for.

Hours - tend to be the worst generally in Audit due to the clients working long hours.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MrRayman)
    Hi guys,

Was just wondering if anyone had any thoughts in general what are the hours like in a big 4 firm in the B&CM department. I say in general because I do appreciate it depends on your client allocation and can be vary drastically between different peoples experiences.

And also if I was to work in this department for the duration of my 3 years, would it limit my job prospects in industry or even abroad to just banks and such as opposed to any company.

Thanks in advance guys
    Hey I'm temping in a big 4 office and I'm starting in audit in September so I've been asking about the different departments.

The lady I spoke to about B&CM said it's the one she would recommend (she works in Financial Services in Forensics now). But hours can be until 1 am in busy season and still quite busy the rest of the year (especially compared to the business based audits) as the clients work crazy long hours.

You do a lot of like internal audit, systems audit and risk assurance stuff (she said more than in the other departments) as well as normal audit things so those are really transferable skills.

Also, B&CM is supposed to be really over subscribed so if you are picking it make sure your second choice is good as well because there's a good chance you'll end up with it.

I take it you're starting in September as well? What are your thoughts on the other audit departments?

ReputationRep:
    Thanks a lot, both of you, for the replies.

Yep, pretty much what I was expecting i.e. the long hours.

Stargirl, thanks for the info, some real food for thought about long-term benefits vs short-term suffering lol.

I do already have an offer for B&CM, but also have an offer for another department with another firm.

In regards to what I think of the other departments. The only other one which interests me is looking more at listed companies as clients. What about you?

If you want you could PM me with what firm your at and joining, as I may well be joining the same one.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: July 23, 2014
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    Useful resources

Articles:

Guide to finance and bankingGuide to accountancy

Featured recruiter profiles:

Deutsche Bank logo

Deutsche Bank is recruiting

"Thrive in an international banking environment"

ICAEW logo

ICAEW

"Choose a career journey with limitless possibilities."

Quick link:

Unanswered finance and accountancy threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.