Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    CEDA: The Cross Examination Debate Association (CEDA) (/sidə/ see-duh) is the largest intercollegiate policy debate association in the United States. Throughout the school year, CEDA sanctions over 60 tournaments throughout the nation, including an annual National Championship Tournament that brings together over 175 individual debate teams from across the nation to compete for a national championship.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by demx9)
    CEDA: The Cross Examination Debate Association (CEDA) (/sidə/ see-duh) is the largest intercollegiate policy debate association in the United States. Throughout the school year, CEDA sanctions over 60 tournaments throughout the nation, including an annual National Championship Tournament that brings together over 175 individual debate teams from across the nation to compete for a national championship.

That's pretty amusing. I'd read about this before but I hadn't actually seen the 'performances'.

Some background information:

On March 24, 2014 at the Cross Examination Debate Association (CEDA) Championships at Indiana University, two Towson University students, Ameena Ruffin and Korey Johnson, became the first African-American women to win a national college debate tournament, for which the resolution asked whether the U.S. president’s war powers should be restricted. Rather than address the resolution straight on, Ruffin and Johnson, along with other teams of African-Americans, attacked its premise. The more pressing issue, they argued, is how the U.S. government is at war with poor black communities.

In the final round, Ruffin and Johnson squared off against Rashid Campbell and George Lee from the University of Oklahoma, two highly accomplished African-American debaters with distinctive dreadlocks and dashikis. Over four hours, the two teams engaged in a heated discussion of concepts like “nigga authenticity” and performed hip-hop and spoken-word poetry in the traditional timed format. At one point during Lee’s rebuttal, the clock ran out but he refused to yield the floor. “**** the time!” he yelled. His partner Campbell, who won the top speaker award at the National Debate Tournament two weeks later, had been unfairly targeted by the police at the debate venue just days before, and cited this experience as evidence for his case against the government’s treatment of poor African-Americans.

This year wasn't the first time this had happened. In the 2013 championship, two men from Emporia State University, Ryan Walsh and Elijah Smith, employed a similar style and became the first African-Americans to win two national debate tournaments. Many of their arguments, based on personal memoir and rap music, completely ignored the stated resolution, and instead asserted that the framework of collegiate debate has historically privileged straight, white, middle-class students.
    Personally, I think this is as ridiculous as awarding the University Challenge prize to a marxist team that shows up and refuses to answer any question except by shouting 'VIOLENT OVERTHROW OF THE BOURGEOISIE' at the top of their lungs.

It's also highly condescending to black people, as it suggests they are incapable of debating within a typical framework. My black friends are very sharp at arguing and debating, and I have no doubt they'd cringe at seeing that video.

I think African American culture needs to stop trying to present itself as a victimised, repressed culture orthogonal to wider American culture. After all, there are plenty of Hispanic, Chinese and Indian debaters who take part in these debates too and don't benefit from 'white privilege' either.

ReputationRep:
    Is this a joke?

I would have kicked them straight out for using racial slurs as part of a debate. Neither team actually made any sense.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DiddyDec)
    Is this a joke?

I would have kicked them straight out for using racial slurs as part of a debate. Neither team actually made any sense.
    And if you criticize it you're automatically branded a racist

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by demx9)
    And if you criticize it you're automatically branded a racist
    All racial slurs should be condemned no matter what the colour of your skin is.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: July 20, 2014
Poll
Who is your favourite TV detective?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.