The Student Room Group

Weekends @ IOT

Hi there,

Currently in the process of applying to join the RAF as a Personnel officer. Just had my P2 presentation and submitted my application to my local AFCO. However, on leaving I realised that I'd forgotten to ask a question from my list and won't be able to visit my local AFCO again for a weeks.

My situation is thus; I'm currently engaged and by the time I (hopefully) make it to IOT I will be newly married. As such I was hoping to gleam a better understanding of how much free time I would have to return home (to Scotland) during weekends etc?

My current understanding is that during Phase 1 I will be able to return home for a weeks leave between terms 1&2, and then again between terms 2&3.

Other than that I've heard a lot of variance in how weekends are spent during Phase 1. I have heard that some weekends can be "earned" off, but that even in those instances whilst you are free you may be restricted as to what you can do (i.e. remain on base, curfew etc). Similarly unsure about weekends during Phase 2, but have heard similar things.

Any help would be appreciated.
Reply 1
Original post by elj88
Hi there,

Currently in the process of applying to join the RAF as a Personnel officer. Just had my P2 presentation and submitted my application to my local AFCO. However, on leaving I realised that I'd forgotten to ask a question from my list and won't be able to visit my local AFCO again for a weeks.

My situation is thus; I'm currently engaged and by the time I (hopefully) make it to IOT I will be newly married. As such I was hoping to gleam a better understanding of how much free time I would have to return home (to Scotland) during weekends etc?

My current understanding is that during Phase 1 I will be able to return home for a weeks leave between terms 1&2, and then again between terms 2&3.

Other than that I've heard a lot of variance in how weekends are spent during Phase 1. I have heard that some weekends can be "earned" off, but that even in those instances whilst you are free you may be restricted as to what you can do (i.e. remain on base, curfew etc). Similarly unsure about weekends during Phase 2, but have heard similar things.

Any help would be appreciated.

All your info is correct.
About earned weekends, if anyone, not necessarily you will screw up, all of you will stay behind.
'Don't plan on going home' would be my advice. At least not until you get there and get a feel for how the course pans out. Different things happen at different times - for example, inter-collegiate games against other military academies, and these are weekend events.
You'll get to the weekends and be very tired, especially at the start of the course. If travel involves driving for long distances you could well put yourself at risk with fatigue. Driving North up the A1 on a Friday night is busy! If the travel involves anything else, you'll either book ahead at the risk of losing it or pay on the day at extortionate cost.

Quick Reply

Latest