Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Why do th US always support Israel? Watch

ReputationRep:
    I just wondered

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Guy Secretan)
    I just wondered
    Why does the EU and UN support 'palestinians'?

ReputationRep:
    1) israel is white
    2) america pretty much created israel
    3) there are a lot of influential rich jews in america
    so yeah

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by zippity.doodah)
    1) israel is white
    so yeah
    Wow.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Chindits)
    Wow.
    why "wow"? I don't support israel

ReputationRep:
    It's really to do with the fact that Israel and America have historically been very strong allies. They still are, and Israel is arguably the most 'Western' country in the Middle East, with values that are quite close to those of America.

ReputationRep:
    I hear there's quite a powerful "Pro Israel" lobby in the US

Look at the latest news regarding Selena Gomez. She said "Pray for Palestine" and an American person said something like "This is a big attack on Jewish people" ie: trying to make criticism of Israel, be seen as anti semitic, instead of criticising the actions of the gov't

Because of this, and because of trade with Israel, they tend to support Israel (on paper)

However, what Wikileaks has shown us, is that whilst Israel is a US ally and they stand by them etc... Washington can't stand Netanyahu at all

ReputationRep:
    Also it must be because they buy a lot of american military equipment and are one of their strongest allies in a region which is mostly anti US.

ReputationRep:
    The EU isn't pro palestinian realistically Britain, France etc do not support the Palestinians.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Guy Secretan)
    I just wondered
    Becsuse Jews play major role in American economy.

Because Israel is slaughtering innocent civilians of Palestine.

ReputationRep:
    pro isreali lobby in u.s is a very big factor as to why their is so much support and also because it is a useful ally in the middle east.

ReputationRep:
    1) israel is white
    so yeah
    1) Israel is not white, it's Arab-Mid-east-African-European. Less than half white.
    2) America did not create Israel, the UN and British Empire and Zionist terrorists did. (Well, the British opposed it at first, but I don't want to go too far into it.)
    3) That is a conspiracy theory with no basis in reality.

America supports Israel because it is a liberal democracy, and as such, a reliable ally. This relationship originated from the Cold war.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by navarre)
    It's really to do with the fact that Israel and America have historically been very strong allies. They still are, and Israel is arguably the most 'Western' country in the Middle East, with values that are quite close to those of America.
    Not really, not till 67 they weren't. More to with the miliitary ineptness of the Arabs in 67 which turned the tide. America realised how useless Arabs are at fighting and therefore not useful in progressing American agendas across the globe, therefore disposed of the Arabs. Plus Israel can pilot American military equipments and weapons on Palestinians before Americans have t use them therefore ironing out problems. Make no mistake if Israel ever became militarily weak America would dispose of it too in the same way.

ReputationRep:
    A very large percentage of US congressmen are Jews (especially compared to the population). It is actually an official American foreign policy that Israel shall remain an ethnically Jewish state.

ReputationRep:
    The USA support Israel because it's the most reliable ally in the region, not because of rich Jews. As with all rich people, they may be able to influence certain areas but not they're not the reason for support.

The USA through most of Israel's existence tried to be neutral but that changed towards the end of the USSR's existence. Mainly because the USA were no longer afraid of the Arabs swaying to the Soviet's side.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jubz1)
    The USA support Israel because it's the most reliable ally in the region, not because of rich Jews. As with all rich people, they may be able to influence certain areas but not they're not the reason for support.

The USA through most of Israel's existence tried to be neutral but that changed towards the end of the USSR's existence. Mainly because the USA were no longer afraid of the Arabs swaying to the Soviet's side.
    ^^^Is the only correct answer in this thread.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by felamaslen)
    1) Israel is not white, it's Arab-Mid-east-African-European. Less than half white.
    2) America did not create Israel, the UN and British Empire and Zionist terrorists did. (Well, the British opposed it at first, but I don't want to go too far into it.)
    3) That is a conspiracy theory with no basis in reality.

America supports Israel because it is a liberal democracy, and as such, a reliable ally. This relationship originated from the Cold war.
    1) they look pretty ****ing white to me as a whole
    2) america pretty much *was* the UN at the time
    3) not really

ReputationRep:
    Because Israel is a surefire ally in a Middle East where allegiances can turn on a dime.

ReputationRep:
    3) not really
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Demogra...of_Israel#Jews

Ashkenazis are 47.5% of the Jewish population, the rest are from North Africa, the middle east and other areas. 20% of the population is Arab. Regardless, the US support has nothing to do with ethnicity.

False, the UN was the US, UK, France, Russia and China. Are you telling me that those four other countries could not have opposed the creation of Israel?

ReputationRep:
    3) not really
    1) They may be pale but so are a lot of the people from the Middle East too. Jews from all over the world can settle in Israel so yano.
    2) The USA wasn't, let's not forget China, USSR (represented by each faction), India, South American countries etc.
    3) With no full apparent facts, it's a theory

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.