Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Using emoticons when texting Watch

ReputationRep:
    So I've carried out a rather brief social experiment over the last week or so.
    I used to use emoticons in texts rather sparsely, but I would have at least one per text. I decided to stop using them completely to see what the effect on the people I was texting would be.
    Funnily enough, almost all of them assumed I was mad at them or that I was being rude. Apparently, there's a huge difference between 'okay ' and 'okay'.
    Why is this the case? Why does a lack of emoticons lead people to assume you are annoyed at them?

ReputationRep:
    If you kept using them too much, and then suddenly stopped it will explain why they assumed you were angry/upset.

ReputationRep:
    In person people can use your facial expression and tone to figure out the emotion behind a word. In texts emoticons serve the same purpose.

ReputationRep:
    People who overuse emoticons are amateurs and I do not take them seriously.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by thetrickyfox)
    In person people can use your facial expression and tone to figure out the emotion behind a word. In texts emoticons serve the same purpose.
    This really. If someone who usually uses emots/kisses etc and suddenly stops then I'd assume something is off.

ReputationRep:
    Its not just texting but take TSR for instance. When I am replying to quotes and don't use emoticons, people say to me your lack of emoticons is making me nervous that are you serious or joking.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Marky Mark)
    People who overuse emoticons are amateurs and I do not take them seriously.
    Yeah, that's one reason I stopped. I felt so childish using emoticons

ReputationRep:
    I'll be there tonight :sexface:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by thechemistress)
    Yeah, that's one reason I stopped. I felt so childish using emoticons
    Good call tbh. You should tell your friends to get a grip if they are becoming offended at the absence of a smiley face.

ReputationRep:
    using no emoticons is alpha

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by thechemistress)
    'okay '
    This made me feel like replying to this thread. It's more welcoming.

Spoiler:
    Show

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    Useful resources
    AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.