Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    is it possible for me to move up to set 1 halfway through year 9 or is it not possible due to changing exam boards and stuff?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ScienceAddict0)
    is it possible for me to move up to set 1 halfway through year 9 or is it not possible due to changing exam boards and stuff?
    It is unlikely to be dependent on exam boards but depends entirely on your school's procedures.

ReputationRep:
    If its in year 9, then I doubt you're doing external exams, therefore the problem won't be exam boards. However from personal experience you have to stand out so much in your set to move up halfway through the year. Its much more likely you'll move up at the end of the year so youll be in a higher set in year 10

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • PS Helper

It's not very likely, though if you think the class you have been placed in is below your ability then you should take it up with the teaching staff, or get your parents do to this on your behalf.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by J C)
    If its in year 9, then I doubt you're doing external exams, therefore the problem won't be exam boards. However from personal experience you have to stand out so much in your set to move up halfway through the year. Its much more likely you'll move up at the end of the year so youll be in a higher set in year 10

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Thanks and well done hope you do fantastic

ReputationRep:
    Yeah, I had a friend who was in set 2 in our division but after his end of yet exams, he went into set 1 of the whole year in year 10.

Although, it's up to your school since they might have a different way to decide who goes to what set

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Not very likely. Not because the school thinks you are not capable, it would be a logistical issue and they would rather want you to wait till year 10.

School is probably over now for summer, best bet would be to study over the summer (pain I know) to prove how you should move up a set. Then ask to speak to the head of year/science and request it. School is really fair, kid. This is the only time in your life when adults are keen and willing to listen. If you show motivation and maturness then they will consider your case.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.