Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    So, reading a book and the PSP got mentioned and got me thinking. How about I get a handheld as it seems unlikely I'll get a next gen anytime soon. I was thinking of a tablet but got a laptop for that sort of use.

So, any recommendations? PSP's are out of date aren't they? Vita?

My priorities would be to find one that is reasonably priced, has good battery and decent graphics.

Thoughts appreciated.

• Study Helper
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Aky786UK)
    So, reading a book and the PSP got mentioned and got me thinking. How about I get a handheld as it seems unlikely I'll get a next gen anytime soon. I was thinking of a tablet but got a laptop for that sort of use.

My priorities would be to find one that is reasonably priced, has good battery and decent graphics.

Thoughts appreciated.

The psvita is quite good. Shooting is op on Fifa though.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:

My priorities would be to find one that is reasonably priced, has good battery and decent graphics
    No they're not out of date. You can buy Playstation Vita PCH-2000 for its remote play capabilities with PS4 and better battery life.

I do not own a PS Vita. I have a handheld gaming console, the Nintendo 3DS XL.

ReputationRep:

Thoughts appreciated.

The PSP is old now. You have a choice between the Vita and 3DS. The 3DS XL is also an option. It's a larger version of the 3DS. The Vita has better specs and better graphics, but it's lacking in exclusive games. Quite a few are ports from the PS2/PS3. The 3DS has a larger variety of games and a nice selection of exclusives. It's not as powerful as the Vita. The graphics are generally worse. Both will cost you around the same price.

In terms of battery life, here is a test video: http://www.gamekult.com/actu/3ds-xl-...t-A102876.html

The site is in French, but you can play the video and it's easy to understand. The 3DS' have their 3D modes turned off. If you turn it on, the battery won't last as long.

ReputationRep:
    3ds XL /thread

ReputationRep:
    Get yourself a 3DS, well worth it.
    • Study Helper
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Malevolent)
    3ds XL /thread
    (Original post by Pedd)
    Get yourself a 3DS, well worth it.
    Not a fan of those, they are the only screens that have made my eyes play up.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Andy98)
    Not a fan of those, they are the only screens that have made my eyes play up.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I never use the 3d function :lol:
    • Study Helper
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    I never use the 3d function :lol:
    Not even on about the 3d function

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Not even on about the 3d function

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Really? Never heard of anyone getting headaches without the 3D function on :rofl:
    • Study Helper
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Really? Never heard of anyone getting headaches without the 3D function on :rofl:
    Well I have always been the odd one

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Well I have always been the odd one

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Quite interesting it does that for you
    • Study Helper
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Quite interesting it does that for you
    Yeah I mean Xbox is a bit dodgy for my eyes but it's bearable, but with the whole ds range I have to turn of after 10 minutes otherwise my eyes get so bad I can't move.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    There are so many good games for the 3DS- And there are so many good games for the DS as well, so there would be a huge library of games for you to play

ReputationRep:
    could get a 2DS?

ReputationRep:
    I've got a PS Vita but barely use it as it no longer charges via the mains for some reason, only via USB which takes absolutely ages just to get 6-8 hours of play time. Not that there's much to play on it, the game selection is limited and shows no sign of improving. It can also be used as a controller for PS4 but I don't use that too much. A Sony rep even said that he didn't know if the console had a future outside of Japan.

But on the plus side, graphics are really good and is good fun. I would keep a look out for cheap ones and see if the software selection improves.
    • Study Helper
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by liamjmilburn)
    I've got a PS Vita but barely use it as it no longer charges via the mains for some reason, only via USB which takes absolutely ages just to get 6-8 hours of play time. Not that there's much to play on it, the game selection is limited and shows no sign of improving. It can also be used as a controller for PS4 but I don't use that too much. A Sony rep even said that he didn't know if the console had a future outside of Japan.

But on the plus side, graphics are really good and is good fun. I would keep a look out for cheap ones and see if the software selection improves.
    Mine still works fine:smug:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: July 21, 2014
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
    Useful resources

Quick link:

Unanswered gaming threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.