The Student Room Group

Is doing Maths, Further maths, Chemistry, Physics too hard?

Just wondering

Scroll to see replies

No, its perfectly manageable.
Reply 2
I would imagine that depends very much on your expectations, goals, ability levels, and willingness to work. The blanket answer is "not necessarily by any means" but you might want to provide some background info in terms of predicted GCSEs or aptitude in these subjects at that level for a little more insight.
A lot of people do those subjects and get good grades. Just manage your time/workload effectively.
Reply 4
Not at all, all of these are exam only (except for practicals) do as long as you can manage study you are fine. Did all but chemistry myself and I regret not taking chemistry.
Reply 5
Did these exact a-levels and they were a piece of p*ss

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 6
maths, further maths and physics?
seriously there is no need to have all three, i would drop physics and choose another subject to show your all rounded.
universities prefer that.
Reply 7
Actually, it's a brilliant combination.

Original post by Sam98x
seriously there is no need to have all three, i would drop physics and choose another subject to show your all rounded.

Most engineering course like the three subjects together
perfect for engineering :smile: you'll have a bit of a head start
Reply 9
Original post by Jubz1
Actually, it's a brilliant combination.

Most engineering course like the three subjects together

Physics and maths is quite similar in regards to how universities view them.
Depends on how motivated you are for all of them

Posted from TSR Mobile
My friends do all that plus another a level so I'd say it's manageable

Don't listen to whoever said drop Physics and take something more well rounded because universities like that or something, I assume you want to something mathsy/ physicsy like Engineering so stick with what you have dear - very good choices :yep:
Original post by Sam98x

Depends on course. If you are applying for maths, physics, engineering, computer science or some other very quanative degrees then his choices are perfect.
Reply 13
Original post by Sam98x

Cambridge - "Essential A Level/IB Higher Level Mathematics and Physics
Highly desirable A Level/IB Higher Level in a third mathematics/science/technology subject
Further Mathematics is strongly encouraged. If unavailable or you've recognised its desirability too late, we'd advise you to do as much additional pure maths and mechanics as possible, eg by taking stand-alone units or Further Mathematics AS Level/IB Higher Level."

Oxford - "

A-levels: A*AA to include Mathematics and Physics. The A* must be in Mathematics, Physics or Further Mathematics. "

Most other unis will most likely say the same.
Original post by Sam98x

Depends on what OP wants to do really, if he wants to do Engineering such as Mechanical then usually both Maths and Physics are asked for
Reply 15
Original post by Jubz1

Cambridge - "Essential A Level/IB Higher Level Mathematics and Physics
Highly desirable A Level/IB Higher Level in a third mathematics/science/technology subject
Further Mathematics is strongly encouraged. If unavailable or you've recognised its desirability too late, we'd advise you to do as much additional pure maths and mechanics as possible, eg by taking stand-alone units or Further Mathematics AS Level/IB Higher Level."

Oxford - "

A-levels: A*AA to include Mathematics and Physics. The A* must be in Mathematics, Physics or Further Mathematics. "

Most other unis will most likely say the same.

Ah right i understand :smile:
Reply 16
Sorry for not writing down my degree option. I'm planning to do computer science and economics being my second option if CS fails for me. Also, I thought of doing economics instead of Chemistry as I dont really see how chemistry is involved in my career options. Does this seem reasonable?
Reply 17
Original post by AlphaNick
lol at least you're not doing Chinese on top of those four like me -_-

If you go about in so many threads complaining how you are overloaded with work, just don't pick 5? If you chose wisely and you enjoy Chinese then don't come and complain in random thread, you're not helping anyone.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Sam98x

I'm not too sure what University and course you're referring to. Physics at top Russel Group Unis prefer that you have taken Maths Physics and at least FM to AS (along with 1 additional science in others such as Nat Sci at Cambridge and Durham). Engineering also requires FM. All rounded isn't something to show academically, only in extracurricular.
Original post by purpura
Just wondering

OP, first of all, I cannot understand why your username is the name of a skin condition.

However, with respect to your choices, Maths, Further Maths and Physics have components in similar. If you chose the Mechanics module of Maths / Further maths instead of Statistics, it would serve very much in your favour. A lot of the topics in the Mechanics module and Physics overlap.

I do not think it is hard at all.

Quick Reply

Latest