Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
    • Thread Starter


    This is a bit of a complex issue and Ill do my best to explain, contacting student finance directly hasn't yielded any decent advice either - if anything I've been given conflicting information.

    I'm 21 and going to Uni for the first time in September. I've been working full time since Feb 2012 and earnt well above the £7500 before tax/insurance needed for two years.

    The issue is, as I've only done this for two financial years ('12/'13 and '13/'14) I've been deemed dependent on my mum for my income. She doesn't pay a penny for me and contact between us is limited, though not estranged.

    Her boyfriend, who she lives with, refuses to provide his financial info - I've met him three times so he feels he shouldn't need to disclose it. Boom, minimum entitlement.

    Now, I've worked out that by the time I leave my job in September, I would have earnt over £7500 again, for the third year, which would then see me as an independent.

    In short, would SFC reconsider my entitlement in September if I provide two tax statements and my wageslips for this financial year to prove how much I've earnt? Or, is there any other way to get additional support? I'm extremely concerned I won't be able to survive at Uni on £3610 a year...

    • Official TSR Representative

    Hi daveyste,

    The regulations show that you need to have supported yourself financially for the 3 years prior to the start of your course and have earned in the region of £7500.00 per annum.
    However there is no restriction on the duration in essence a complete tax year, as long as you have supported for 3 separate tax years so effectively 12/13, 13/14 and partially for 14/15 as long as you can provide evidence to show your earnings in the region, or excess of £7500.00 you would be granted independent status.

  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

    You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

  • Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
    Useful resources

    Groups associated with this forum:

    View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

    You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

  • The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

    Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

    Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.