3 3 U C L
    4 4 Manchester
    5 5 Edinburgh
    6 6 Imperial
    7 14 Nottingham
    8 8 Leeds
    9 12 Sheffield
    10 9 Bristol
    Source: Research Fortnight, 17 December 2008.

No sign of Durham, St Andrews, Bath, KCL in the top 10?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mansun)
    Top 10 universities ranked by research power
    Rank 2008 Rank 2001 Organisation
    1 1 Oxford
    2 2 Cambridge
    3 3 U C L
    4 4 Manchester
    5 5 Edinburgh
    6 6 Imperial
    7 14 Nottingham
    8 8 Leeds
    9 12 Sheffield
    10 9 Bristol

There are quite a few university league tables around and they all assess on different criteria. Some of the small universities do less well in terms of research but make up for it in other areas. Depends what is most important to you. A degree from Durham for example is generally worth more than a degree from Leeds.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by KayteeKaytee)
    There are quite a few university league tables around and they all assess on different criteria. Some of the small universities do less well in terms of research but make up for it in other areas. Depends what is most important to you. A degree from Durham for example is generally worth more than a degree from Leeds.
    I don't think one can argue that the RAE is one of the fairest means to assess the strength of a University and it's reputation. A degree from Durham is generally not worth more than a degree from Leeds. For Law yes, but for Medicine Leeds wins hands down. Students seem to want to bash Leeds as though it is the weakest in the Russell Group, but the RAE suggests it is one of the stronger members in the group.

I always wondered why Oxbridge laughs at the flattery and model which Durham uses to try and emulate them for reputation and tradition. The latter is not world class in research, and suffers badly on the global stage as a result.

ReputationRep:
    I don't think one can argue that the RAE is one of the fairest means to assess the strength of a University and it's reputation. A degree from Durham is generally not worth more than a degree from Leeds. For Law yes, but for Medicine Leeds wins hands down. Students seem to want to bash Leeds as though it is the weakest in the Russell Group, but the RAE suggests it is one of the stronger members in the group.

I always wondered why Oxbridge laughs at the flattery and model which Durham uses to try and emulate them for reputation and tradition. The latter is not world class in research, and suffers badly on the global stage as a result.
    I'm really not sure you know what you're talking about. Leeds has a great reputation as a party university and is quite good for some subjects but very mediocre for most. Durham is consistently in the top 5 or 6 for every subject they offer. Durham has an outstanding reputation with employers and graduate employment statistics are some of the best in the country. They ask for much higher grades and therefore have a higher calibre of student to start with.

I would argue that the RAE league table is not the fairest means to assess the strength of a University, especially amongst employers of people with non-science degrees.

I know a lot of people who have been/are at Oxbridge and none of them laugh at Durham.

The teaching of medicine is dependent on the proximity of teaching hospitals and Durham do this is conjunction with Newcastle which is not an ideal way to run a course. There are better options for medicine than Durham but you cannot assess a university on the basis of one course.

Durham's lack of global reputation (which is no where near as bad as many suggest) is largely down to it's inability to promote itself abroad. Interesting St Andrews has no problems with self promotion and global reputation but you appear to be tarring them with the same brush based on one league table. Position on a global stage often has less to do with research and more to do with the size of the advertising budget.

I am really not sure where you are coming from with this post.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Fudge96)
    I'm really not sure you know what you're talking about. Leeds has a great reputation as a party university and is quite good for some subjects but very mediocre for most. Durham is consistently in the top 5 or 6 for every subject they offer. Durham has an outstanding reputation with employers and graduate employment statistics are some of the best in the country. They ask for much higher grades and therefore have a higher calibre of student to start with.

I would argue that the RAE league table is not the fairest means to assess the strength of a University, especially amongst employers of people with non-science degrees.

I know a lot of people who have been/are at Oxbridge and none of them laugh at Durham.

The teaching of medicine is dependent on the proximity of teaching hospitals and Durham do this is conjunction with Newcastle which is not an ideal way to run a course. There are better options for medicine than Durham but you cannot assess a university on the basis of one course.

Durham's lack of global reputation (which is no where near as bad as many suggest) is largely down to it's inability to promote itself abroad. Interesting St Andrews has no problems with self promotion and global reputation but you appear to be tarring them with the same brush based on one league table. Position on a global stage often has less to do with research and more to do with the size of the advertising budget.

I am really not sure where you are coming from with this post.
    Swallow your pride and accept that Durham is not a research powerhouse like UCL and Nottingham, and Leeds for that matter. Durham needs to shake it's image of just being strong in the arts, it must also deliver in the sciences to be up there with the best universities.

The only thing that saves it is the tradition and a few pretty buildings, and the fact that high calibre white middle classes would rather go there than a city ridden with crime. High entrance requirements is not a mark of quality, it is a mark of popularity. It is almost unheard of to see Durham science graduates take up careers in these fields compared to Nottingham, UCL, Bath, Bristol, Warwick etc.

ReputationRep:
    Swallow your pride and accept that Durham is not a research powerhouse like UCL and Nottingham, and Leeds for that matter. Durham needs to shake it's image of just being strong in the arts, it must also delivery in the sciences to be up there with the best universities.

The only thing that saves it is the tradition and a few pretty buildings, and the fact that high calibre white middle classes would rather go there than a city ridden with crime. High entrance requirements is not a mark of quality, it is a mark of popularity. It is almost unheard of to see Durham science graduates take up careers in these fields compared to Nottingham, UCL, Bath, Bristol, Warwick etc.
    Ill-informed nonsense. Clearly a troll.

ReputationRep:
    Durham just isn't a science university, whereas Leeds is and a lot more besides.

ReputationRep:
    Durham just isn't a science university, whereas Leeds is and a lot more besides.
    Ill-informed or troll.

ReputationRep:
    Ill-informed or troll.
    If you meddle in the affairs of the leading research universities as confirmed by the government backed RAE, then you must be prepared to think of such things.

ReputationRep:
    If you meddle in the affairs of the leading research universities as confirmed by the government backed RAE, then you must be prepared to think of such things.
    Durham's Physics department is ranked 3rd in the Country. They are the European leaders in particle physics phenomenology. I'd much rather do my degree in Physics here, due to the higher quality learning experience, and more challenging course content.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MrEFeynman)
    Durham's Physics department is ranked 3rd in the Country.
    By Whom?

ReputationRep:
    I'd be cautious around the figures you've found. You've rightly spotted that Durham isn't in your list, but note also the absence of LSE..?

Given the Guardian's table (from the same government data) has LSE 3rd, and Durham 2 places ahead of Leeds...

Source: http://www.theguardian.com/education...k-universities

All of this is rather academic however. The replacement to RAE (called REF 2014) has concluded the gathering of submissions, and is due to publish in December 2014 (www.ref.ac.uk)

Any current students, recent graduates, or potential applicants should be more interested in the figures from 2014, rather than 2008.

International quality research output is one of the things that gives an instititution (and thus your degree) value, but it isn't the only thing of importance. Depending on the career path you choose, the key factors in you getting the job you want are more likely to be related to your classification, your extra-curricular activities (especially any that show leadership skills) and the brand recognition of the institution you went to.

The precise ranking of the University overall on any given league table is unlikely to factor in a hiring decision, and for PhD or PostDoc placements, your research skills will be seen as the most important aspect to measure, rather than the overall research of the institution.

Once the institution is credible (as both Durham and Leeds are), the rest is up to you to shine.

ReputationRep:
    By Whom?
    Speaking for Chemistry, Durham is rated higher than Imperial, UCL, Leeds, etc on the Guardian's League Tables, and the The Independent's Complete University Guide (both 2015 rankings) and is beaten only by Oxbridge. Using one ranking that focuses on Research from 6 years ago and making a silly statement like "Durham just isn't a science university, " does no one any favours.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by dave134)

Depending on the career path you choose, the key factors in you getting the job you want are more likely to be related to your classification, your extra-curricular activities (especially any that show leadership skills) and the brand recognition of the institution you went to.
    I already know this, I am 30 years old and have worked for 5 blue chip firms. I also know of the upcomng RAE results, but that can wait until they are published. Until then the current data is fine.

ReputationRep:
    I already know this, I am 30 years old and have worked for 5 blue chip firms. I also know of the upcomng RAE results, but that can wait until they are published. Until then the current data is fine.
    You almost certainly do not know of the upcoming RAE results unless you are involved directly. At best you know the results from a single department at a single university, or have just looked at citations per head which is almost identical to the RAE anyway.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by QuantumOverlord)
    You almost certainly do not know of the upcoming RAE results unless you are involved directly. At best you know the results from a single department at a single university, or have just looked at citations per head which is almost identical to the RAE anyway.
    I think you misunderstood. I was saying I know the results for the upcoming RAE will be published in 2015. Hopefully Nottingham will climb even higher. The media league tables have given Nottingham a torrid time ever since 2002, oddly enough the year I started there. Before that time, Notts was always solid top 10, though I don't like the student satisfaction survey being used in the tables.

ReputationRep:
    I think you misunderstood. I was saying I know the results for the upcoming RAE will be published in 2015. Hopefully Nottingham will climb even higher. The media league tables have given Nottingham a torrid time ever since 2002, oddly enough the year I started there. Before that time, Notts was always solid top 10, though I don't like the student satisfaction survey being used in the tables.
    My query is how you could know what the upcoming RAE results are.

ReputationRep:
    Agreed!

ReputationRep:
    Top 10 universities ranked by research power
    Rank 2008 Rank 2001 Organisation
    1 1 Oxford
    2 2 Cambridge
    3 3 U C L
    4 4 Manchester
    5 5 Edinburgh
    6 6 Imperial
    7 14 Nottingham
    8 8 Leeds
    9 12 Sheffield
    10 9 Bristol

Oh look, another thread were people have decided that your points are deluded! Another load of people who agree with me that Durham is far superior to Nottingham. What a massive surprise.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DylanJ96)
    Oh look, another thread were people have decided that your points are deluded! Another load of people who agree with me that Durham is far superior to Nottingham. What a massive surprise.
    Any more trolling and internet stalking and it will be the police who will be informed, take the polite warning and leave my own threads in peace.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.