Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Do you need an NUS card for a student discount? Watch

ReputationRep:
    Or is your Uni ID enough?

ReputationRep:
    I've always used university ID.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    It depends. Some places will demand a NUS card but some will be fine with uni ID (eg the pizza hut in my uni town demands a NUS card). And it was a tad more difficult to get the discount away from uni on the uni card - I took it back to belfast and asked for discounts in a few places and they sort of... Looked at it a bit longer and asked where it was, that sort of thing.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheWorldEndsWithMe)
    It depends. Some places will demand a NUS card but some will be fine with uni ID (eg the pizza hut in my uni town demands a NUS card). And it was a tad more difficult to get the discount away from uni on the uni card - I took it back to belfast and asked for discounts in a few places and they sort of... Looked at it a bit longer and asked where it was, that sort of thing.
    But uni cards are NUS cards (just not nus extra ones)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by baconwrappedeggs)
    Or is your Uni ID enough?
    Your Uni ID should be an NUS card and I've never had a problem using it in physical shops. For online shopping you can sign up to uni days for free or you need an NUS Extra card.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jelly1000)

I don't know the specifics. Just that some of the places at home were questioning what it was/was it legit/where the uni was (because in Belfast the overwhelming majority of the student cards are Uni of Ulster or Queens, not stuff from England) and certain places seem to demand the NUS Extra, then.
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    I have no idea how you come up with such rubbish

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Juno)
    I have no idea how you come up with such rubbish

Posted from TSR Mobile
    My card says NUS on it! No need to be so rude.
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    My card says NUS on it! No need to be so rude.
    I drive a corsa. Therefore everyone drives a corsa!

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    But not all universities are in the NUS or even allowed to join NUS.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DiddyDec)
    But not all universities are in the NUS or even allowed to join NUS.
    My bad, I naively assumed at the whole point of the NUS was that it was for all UK university students

ReputationRep:
    My bad, I naively assumed at the whole point of the NUS was that it was for all UK university students
    Unfortunately due to the political standing of the NUS they will not let some universities join under certain ridiculous criteria. My university is not allowed due to the fact we have an on site armoury (gun cabinet). The NUS is for some students and not others. It is blatant discrimination from an organisation that are trying to stop discrimination.

ReputationRep:
    I don't think most shops care that much. The annoying thing is that Megabus requires NUS cards for discounted travel, and my uni is disaffiliated :mad:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DiddyDec)
    Unfortunately due to the political standing of the NUS they will not let some universities join under certain ridiculous criteria. My university is not allowed due to the fact we have an on site armoury (gun cabinet). The NUS is for some students and not others. It is blatant discrimination from an organisation that are trying to stop discrimination.
    That is terrible.

ReputationRep:
    That is terrible.
    That is the NUS way.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.