Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Where to meet women after having graduated from uni? Watch

Announcements

I didn't manage to get any long term GF from uni (I guess that can be a good thing). I've now moved back into my home city but I don't know how to meet women without creepily approaching them in public? Bars and clubs are out of the question because I hate alcohol, loud places and crowds of drunk people (I've tried it enough times to know).

I doubt I'd meet anyone at work either, but I'd still like to avoid it either way.

ReputationRep:
    Join community groups doing something you are passionate about?

ReputationRep:
    Church?
    Join your leisure centre

Posted from TSR Mobile

(Original post by ihavemooedtoday)
    Join community groups doing something you are passionate about?
    What do you mean by a community group? Where can I find them?

(Original post by Georgiina_Tee)
    Church?
    Join your leisure centre

Posted from TSR Mobile
    No thanks to church. Please elaborate more on the leisure centre?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    What do you mean by a community group? Where can I find them?
    I don't know if it's the same in the UK, but in most cities in Canada/US you would have a few community centres where people meet up to do stuff. Mountain climbing, sports, music playing, food sharing, etc. A lot like clubs and societies in uni.

In my own personal experience, it's very very hard. You won't have any common meeting places or common ground with girls and a good place to start is embracing the 'PUA' culture unfortunately concentrating on foreign girls who are not good with English.

I say this from experience, I have been going to church for years and am a part of alpha groups and that didn't help. If you're shy, then forget girls altogether as it won't work.

(Original post by ihavemooedtoday)
    I don't know if it's the same in the UK, but in most cities in Canada/US you would have a few community centres where people meet up to do stuff. Mountain climbing, sports, music playing, food sharing, etc. A lot like clubs and societies in uni.
    We don't really have those Where I live isn't really community oriented, and even then it would mostly be middle aged and retired people anyway. I can definitely see this working over there though.

In my own personal experience, it's very very hard. You won't have any common meeting places or common ground with girls and a good place to start is embracing the 'PUA' culture unfortunately concentrating on foreign girls who are not good with English.

I say this from experience, I have been going to church for years and am a part of alpha groups and that didn't help. If you're shy, then forget girls altogether as it won't work.
    Thanks for your response. To "forget girls" is really not an option for me, because I don't want to have regrets later down the line, and I'm sure you don't either. There must be a way

Has the PUA stuff worked for you? Would love to hear your experiences.

ReputationRep:
    We don't really have those Where I live isn't really community oriented, and even then it would mostly be middle aged and retired people anyway. I can definitely see this working over there though.
    That's unfortunate . Aren't there any local group of people with common interest meeting up to do things?

Here it's mostly middle aged and retired people, but there would be some young people, too, and hey, you only need one, right?

Thanks for your response. To "forget girls" is really not an option for me, because I don't want to have regrets later down the line, and I'm sure you don't either. There must be a way

Has the PUA stuff worked for you? Would love to hear your experiences.
    Yes it definitely works if you dedicate time into practicing and being in the right places at the right times. There are bootcamps held every so often by the experienced guys who give you the confidence and techniques to approach girls and develop rapport. In my personal experience it does work but you have to have the mindset to make it work, unfortunately, I didn't follow it through and gave up after a few months.

Yes it definitely works if you dedicate time into practicing and being in the right places at the right times. There are bootcamps held every so often by the experienced guys who give you the confidence and techniques to approach girls and develop rapport. In my personal experience it does work but you have to have the mindset to make it work, unfortunately, I didn't follow it through and gave up after a few months.
    Ah ok. What is your background, how old are you? Are you quite introverted? Shy?

I always thought approaching randomers would be very inefficient considering I'm pretty specific in terms of the character/personality I would like in a woman.

ReputationRep:
    Go back to uni and pretend you still study there

ReputationRep:
    Can't believe no one has suggested this yet, but online dating sites. I know it seems better to meet girls irl, but it's so easy to get talking to local girls online around where you live (just be sure they are who they say they are). If you get a good conversation going with a girl, suggest snapchatting/video call to make sure she is who she is. Then if that works out ask her out for a date 😊

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    also the PUA stuff is bs, you either have it or you don't, if your slightly nervous when trying this you'll come across creepy and the girl won't want to talk.

Posted from TSR Mobile

(Original post by Horny Cabbage)
    Can't believe no one has suggested this yet, but online dating sites. I know it seems better to meet girls irl, but it's so easy to get talking to local girls online around where you live (just be sure they are who they say they are). If you get a good conversation going with a girl, suggest snapchatting/video call to make sure she is who she is. Then if that works out ask her out for a date 😊

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I have already tried this, but it turns out fruitless every time. Unless you are tall and good looking (I am neither tall nor photogenic) you will get filtered out almost immediately. The male/female imbalance is immense. I've given up on online dating, girls only seem to like me in person.

also the PUA stuff is bs, you either have it or you don't, if your slightly nervous when trying this you'll come across creepy and the girl won't want to talk.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I think there is a huge difference between PUA and genuinely saying hello to someone you may be interested in.

I certainly don't have any interested in the normal strategic PUA to 'pick up chicks' because the type of girl I want wouldn't be susceptible to that. But I don't mind saying hello to someone I think is cute or want to learn more about.

ReputationRep:

What, because no shy guys ever get girlfriends?

That's awful reasoning. If you're nervous, you improve so you aren't nervous anymore.
    • PS Helper
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    Tinder is probably the modern normal way. Not sure if I find that depressing or not.

ReputationRep:
    There are no women after university.

(Original post by Hal.E.Lujah)
    Tinder is probably the modern normal way. Not sure if I find that depressing or not.
    Tinder has the same issues as all other online dating services. Far too much competition, considering most guys will say yes to most girls, and girls will subsequently end up still having plenty of choice.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: July 23, 2014
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.