Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi

I'm an international student and I have an offer from University of Nottingham (BA/Bsc Economics). I was wondering how reputable course it is in terms of following;

*Teaching quality- lectures, tutorials, the support you can get from academic staff, etc.

*Academic environment - class atmosphere, general attitude towards studying/learning, student initiative/projects

*Graduate destinations- Not only IBs but also for think tanks, masters degree courses ( I am more into research than banking)

Nottingham economics is ranked 6th in this year's league table from complete university guide, but what is general recognition of this course in UK like? It seems to me that the overall university rep is going downhill, but is it more or less same at the economics department as well?

I have two options at the moment, either going to Nottingham this year or re-taking exams in November and re-apply to some places like UCL or Warwick( there is no guarantee that I will get in though) . I'm not sure which option would lead me to a better uni life, career and beyond. Is there a LOT of difference between UCL/warwick rank and Notts?

I would appreciate some advice from you guys!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bluetech05)
    Hi

I'm an international student and I have an offer from University of Nottingham (BA/Bsc Economics). I was wondering how reputable course it is in terms of following;

*Teaching quality- lectures, tutorials, the support you can get from academic staff, etc.

*Academic environment - class atmosphere, general attitude towards studying/learning, student initiative/projects

*Graduate destinations- Not only IBs but also for think tanks, masters degree courses ( I am more into research than banking)

Nottingham economics is ranked 6th in this year's league table from complete university guide, but what is general recognition of this course in UK like? It seems to me that the overall university rep is going downhill, but is it more or less same at the economics department as well?

I have two options at the moment, either going to Nottingham this year or re-taking exams in November and re-apply to some places like UCL or Warwick( there is no guarantee that I will get in though) . I'm not sure which option would lead me to a better uni life, career and beyond. Is there a LOT of difference between UCL/warwick rank and Notts?

I would appreciate some advice from you guys!
    Hi Bluetech,

You can check out http://www.theguardian.com/education...list?CMP=fb_gu for much of the above.

In short: yes.

I'd say this about university rankings: they are published each year, but it takes decades for a university's reputation to change because it is the alumni that really promote those universities long after they graduate. Nottingham may well have come 6th in economics recently (in one league table, in one subject) but it is a long way off the reputation of UCL, and more recently Warwick. In fact, Warwick has been on a massive upward trend for a decade now and aims to consistently be in the world's top 50 (regularly beating LSE), but it is still not widely recognised as a world-renowned institution. I believe that UCL has a much stronger reputation (especially internationally) than the other two.

However, if you are really interested in eventually doing research, then you are looking a 8-10+ year process with at least three qualifications. To some extent, where you begin does not matter as long as you excel there. You should be looking to achieve a 1st in the subject that you want to do serious research, and then you can use that to change to a different university (perhaps UCL or LSE in London - or even Oxbridge) for a postgrad. It's a very long ladder to climb. Where you do your PhD would be of much greater importance.

May I ask why you are reading economics and what is your interest in the subject? My own background is in university tuition and entrance and I work with a lot of university lecturer tutors, so am always interested in anyone who is considering taking that path.

ReputationRep:
    Thank you for your reply, RichardTheProf.

Umm...so you are saying that it would be better for me to take a gap-year and aim for UCL/Warwick degree, unless I am certain that I want to pursue Phd degree in the future, right? I know the most important thing is how I spend my 3 years rather then where I study at, but I will try my best wherever I end up with. I just want to have as many opportunities as I could...

Well I'm thinking of researcher or possibly economic policy analyst as my career option, but it depends on what field of economics would interest me more. Currently I am more into studying experimental/neuroeconomics in the future, which is a new but rising area of econ, and I thought it would be very fascinating to do a research in that field. But I cannot be sure about it until I actually take some classes of both economics and psychology. Maybe I will be more drawn into development economics, which would probably push me to seek a job at NGOs etc before trying to apply for MPA. So, nothing is actually certain at this moment. But, I am almost absolutely sure that I don't want to get into IBs. I've known quite a few people work there, and considering the atmosphere and the type of work, I just feel its not for me.

So...yes, the problem is, I am still not sure if I am ready to take the path of "long ladder" as you describe. And, even if I am, I first need to work somewhere otherwise I cannot afford it. Do you think getting a Bsc Economics degree from Nottingham might not open the doors for the career I am interested in? I do like studying actually, so I hope I will be able to get good grades(1st), though.

Thank you!

ReputationRep:
    Nottingham has had 2 economic nobel prizes this century. Worth remembering

UCL and Warwick are great unis for Economics no doubt, but coming soon behind them is Nottingham.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Meat is Murder)
    Nottingham has had 2 economic nobel prizes this century. Worth remembering

UCL and Warwick are great unis for Economics no doubt, but coming soon behind them is Nottingham.
    Thank you for your opinion!
    I thought the Nobel prize winner for econ was Clive Granger only, but never mind...

By saying " coming soon behind them", do you think the gap is relatively small?

ReputationRep:
    I thought the Nobel prize winner for econ was Clive Granger only, but never mind...

Relatively small is relative

My opinion is largely irrelevant as I don't take economics. The perception I have though is that Economics is one of the stronger courses at Nottingham. Warwick would be many peoples first choice for economics; I don't hear many people talking about UCL for economics - take that as you will.

My advice, and I know this is tricky with you being an international applicant, is to go visit the unis and go with your heart.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Meat is Murder)
    Relatively small is relative

My advice, and I know this is tricky with you being an international applicant, is to go visit the unis and go with your heart.
    Thank you, even if you don't take econ your advice is still appreciated

Yes, as you said I can't visit the unis- well, personally I am attracted by an amazing campus at Notts but then I can't really see the feel or atmosphere it has...if there are too many rah students, it would be quite hard for me to fit in.

ReputationRep:

I would say that the gap between Warwick and UCL is small, but the gap to Nottingham and the two is quite large. However, if you do wish to go into research, if you get a 1st at Nottingham that will probably allow you to apply for PhDs at any uni you wish. If I were you, I would stick with Nottingham. You like the place and it's not exactly a bad uni. It's not worth taking the risk of gapping since you're never guranteed an offer. That being said, if your grades are seriously good, then you maybe should consider gapping and applying for the top schools. Note that LSE love international students (50% internationals I believe).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mike_123)
    That being said, if your grades are seriously good, then you maybe should consider gapping and applying for the top schools. Note that LSE love international students (50% internationals I believe).
    Thanks, I don't think I have a chance to get a place at LSE though...I know they take many internationals but lots of bright internationals apply to LSE, too.

ReputationRep:
    Thanks, I don't think I have a chance to get a place at LSE though...I know they take many internationals but lots of bright internationals apply to LSE, too.
    Well if you have a spare slot in your UCAS then you might as well give it a go.

ReputationRep:
    Thank you everyone for replies- can anyone who studied( or has friends studying) at Nottingham can tell me about the school, and specifically about the Econ department? I just want to have a picture of uni life at Notts before making the decision...any piece of information is appreciated, thanks!

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.