The Student Room Group

I have a stammer, - is my life just going to stay how it is?

I've had a stammer since an extremely young age, (5? - not too clear on the details, just very small). I am 19 years old now.

I didn't care too much about it at first, I was oblivious about until Primary School (Grade 4-7).

Secondary school is when my stammer caused quite a problem for me, was unable to complete any basic school-oral task without stammering uncontrollably. Soon enough, I was scared of speaking altogether. Picking French for my GCSE(s) didn't help either.

I'm unable to determine any significant pattern in my stammer, for some - they know that they struggle on specific words, or specific situations. For me, it's an on/off thing. I've seeked help, and was given speech therapy via the NHS. It was not helpful, they were adamant on the psychological part of the problem. Asking me to describe specifically every good/bad times in my childhood - all the way up until now.

Anyway, I'm not sure where I'm going with this post anymore - Just wanted to give a brief insight on the stammering situation. If you have any questions about my stammering/speech situations, I'll be more than happy to answer them :smile:

As for now, I don't know what to do with my life. I'm just trying to get a job. I have tried applying for many jobs. I get the interviews, I go - cannot speak to save my life, and then get rejected. Every job I come across requires "A Good level of communication skill". Many jobs in the retail sector requires me to do some form of roleplay in the interview process, in which I end up failing miserably at. As for now, I understand there's no current 'cure' or anything which can improve my current stammering situation is there?

Is there a job in the world where I'm able to get past the interview process even if I were to stammer 50% of the time? I hate myself.
Do you go to speech therpy. I also stammer alot. Make a consious effort to slow down your speech. (it sucks as i dont follow my own advice when i am in nervohs situations where my stammer gets worst) but it hasnt affected me socially. I cant comment about jobs because i am doing my A levels now and havent had a job.

Posted from TSR Mobile
I can't give you any advice sorry but I had a stammer so I know how horrible it is for you. Luckily I lost mine when I was about 11 but it still sometimes come back so there's still hope that yours will.

Does it happen all of the time or is just when you're around people? Did you watch Educating Yorkshire? A boy on that had a really bad one (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yOtbBhJjlZk) and he used music to help calm his nerves when he spoke.
Original post by toonervoustotalk
Do you go to speech therpy. I also stammer alot. Make a consious effort to slow down your speech. (it sucks as i dont follow my own advice when i am in nervohs situations where my stammer gets worst) but it hasnt affected me socially. I cant comment about jobs because i am doing my A levels now and havent had a job.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I did go to Speech Therapy, unfortunately it was unable to improve my current condition in any way. It seems like you haven't been mentally a/e-ffected by your stammer - I'm glad :smile:
Most people have seen this, but it was a great video of a teenager momentarily overcoming his stammer and even making a speech:

[video="youtube_share;cWeKiZS-dxM"]http://youtu.be/cWeKiZS-dxM[/video]

Of course, this isn't a fix, but I just thought sharing it would help you see things positively.
You definitely still need to seek speech therapy; when you find the right therapist for you they could really help you find some good strategies for you.

I'm sure you will find the right kind of job that suits you and your needs, it just is unlikely to be in retail or alike.
Chin up, there is certainly time for improvement for you.
Original post by kayleighisonfire
I can't give you any advice sorry but I had a stammer so I know how horrible it is for you. Luckily I lost mine when I was about 11 but it still sometimes come back so there's still hope that yours will.

Does it happen all of the time or is just when you're around people? Did you watch Educating Yorkshire? A boy on that had a really bad one (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yOtbBhJjlZk) and he used music to help calm his nerves when he spoke.

I have found out many ways which makes me literally have no stammer when speaking. I'm just unable to use it in 'real life' situations, such as giving presentations/speaking to employers - making basic telephone calls, interviews etc.

If I cover both of my ears - I am able to speak as if there wasn't a stammer.
If I whisper what I had to say - I wouldn't stammer.
If I pre-record what I say, and use earphones to play it back to me, I wouldn't stammer.

Relaying back what I say to my brain, allows me to speak clearly. Sadly that's where it ends. It's just not practical to do in real situations, and as for practicing - I've tried using different techniques to enhance the successful methods above - to no avail :/
Reply 6
:hugs:
Original post by Dinaa
:hugs:

:smile:

Original post by gman10
N-n-n-n-noooooooo

Haha .. :smile:
You could be Shadow Chancellor.
Hello! I have a stammer and a lisp at the same time so I know how you feel! I've had it since about the age of 5 and my mum thought it was just me messing about and didn't bother with speech therapy until I turned 16 where I begged her and told her I can't even speak to some of my friends and get embarrassed, a stammer is a real confidence killer and well speech therapy was absolutely useless, like I don't want to be mean to speech therapist but it's just didn't do anything for me.

My stammer has always been on and off, I've read books on it and tried to work out the cause, the few things I have realised is that it's different for everyone, I've just about gotten rid of mine through working out why I stammer, for me it was confidence, if I was going to give a presentation at college I'd panick, all I'd think about was 'oh crap! I'm gonna start stammering'

Admittedly now I rarely ever stammer, I might have a period where I have the odd letter I stammer on but apart from that no one can even tell I have a stammer! I'd be happy to help and give anyone tips on how I got over my stammer!

Quick Reply

Latest