Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

What should and shouldn't I eat while I'm pregnant? Watch

ReputationRep:
    While pregnant, you're eating for just two, whilst the old saying goes -- but exactly what are you currently two supposed to be eating?Get all essential vitamins and minerals daily. Meaning keeping the prenatal vitamins you started just before becoming pregnant, along with eating a wholesome diet.Fill your plate with leafy greens, fruits, veggies, and whole grains (like wheat breads and cereals). Get a lot of calcium-rich foods like broccoli and low-fat milk and yogurt, to help build your baby's bones and teeth. Adhere to lean meats like chicken and turkey.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by saraanjacix)
    While pregnant, you're eating for just two, whilst the old saying goes -- but exactly what are you currently two supposed to be eating?Get all essential vitamins and minerals daily. Meaning keeping the prenatal vitamins you started just before becoming pregnant, along with eating a wholesome diet.Fill your plate with leafy greens, fruits, veggies, and whole grains (like wheat breads and cereals). Get a lot of calcium-rich foods like broccoli and low-fat milk and yogurt, to help build your baby's bones and teeth. Adhere to lean meats like chicken and turkey.
    Instead of asking a student forum, I think any sound person would look for information like this on the NHS website or something. Definitely more trustworthy.

ReputationRep:
    Ok thanks for your advice will do it..

ReputationRep:
    Great i came on here to read posts from Midwives
    So that i could take note of what they say. And soon become a midwife in about 10years! :lol:

ReputationRep:
    10years is not for away in this fast world.

ReputationRep:
    Not really in a position to advise, but I know that "eating for two" is definitely *not* the right idea. Best to see your doctor or NHS website as others have said.

ReputationRep:
    Are you married?

ReputationRep:
    thank per.. let me check with my doctor .any way thank you very much for your advice.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mr_Mad100)
    Are you married?
    What's marriage got to do with it?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Feel free to go and speak to your local pharmacist if you don't want the hassle of booking an appointment with your GP surgery

ReputationRep:
    OP I was told by the midwife that pate, soft cheese, mouldy cheese and alcohol are no go during pregnancy. Limit yourself with tuna and salmon as well (one portion a week I think) Also make sure you eat your steak and meat are well cooked in general.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Sounds like a plan!

One thing I didn't completely realise before, is that some types of tuna are very harmful to the child (Albacore tuna), due to the high levels of mercury.

Be sure not to smoke and drink, either Good luck!

ReputationRep:
    On topic, sources rich in calcium, and iron would be good; supplements are to compliment the food that you eat. The foods that you have mentioned seem to be good. But as someone else has pointed out, it is probably not helpful to think that you 'are eating for two.'

(Original post by hellodave5)
    Don't listen to that s**t. He doesn't know anything; and doesn't seem to be the nicest chap.
    And well done on your degree!
    ^^THIS.

At least you have been to university, and got a degree, and a good grade as well. There's no such thing as a 'mickey mouse degree' to me.

ReputationRep:

Don't eat for two you only need an extra 150 calories in the first trimester and 300 in the last so a banana and toast, no pate, or soft cheeses try to limit tuna to 2 portions a week, and try gentle exercise such as walking & swimming, to keep fit and reduce your risk of labour complications,

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: July 20, 2014
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.