Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Social proof theory and women : is it real? Watch

• View Poll Results: Do you agree?
    YES
    91.67%
    NO
    8.33%

ReputationRep:
    Social proof, also known as informational social influence, is a psychological phenomenon where people assume the actions of others in an attempt to reflect correct behavior for a given situation. This effect is prominent in ambiguous social situations where people are unable to determine the appropriate mode of behavior, and is driven by the assumption that surrounding people possess more knowledge about the situation.
    A man's social ''aura'' or popularity will either increase or decrease his ''value''. However, the opposite is not true since men mostly go for a woman's looks without caring too much if she has a certain number of friends or is popular in general. This, of course, applies to most women, not all.

The phenomenon can be observed in a number of situations of everyday life :

- a male celebrity will be much more desirable to women than a female one to men

- a married man (or even one in a couple) will become more attractive to women

- a guy going to a club or party with friends will look much better to a woman than one who hangs out by himself (so called wingmen/wingwomen )

- having a social media profile full of friends (especially female friends) will increase the attention you get from other women

- even something as trivial as girls looking at boys on the street more when the boys are with their girlfriend

We're not talking about golddiggers, status and wealth here, but an increase in a man's appeal when his ''worth'' seems to be confirmed by others. Women don't consciously do this with hidden motives, the attraction is natural. Do you agree the phenomenon is real? Why is it that it only applies to women?

ReputationRep:
    Yes, and don't believe anyone who says otherwise.

/thread

ReputationRep:
    Makes evolutionary sense. Is consistent with real world data. Not proven.

ReputationRep:
    Eh I ended up with someone who doesn't have many friends or a social media account, it might be true for teenagers but for older women I'm not so sure.

ReputationRep:
    Yea I've noticed this as well. Bragging about you sexual conquests to a bloke while a woman is about (making sure she overhears it) is a sure fire way to get laid. Try it.

Another thing that works is when at a party; you should make sure you focus on multiple girls before talking to the one you like the most.

ReputationRep:
    Everything I've observed/read seems to suggest it applies more often than not. I've read of experiments 'proving' it to varying degrees, at least as far as a social psychology theory can be proven, but not for a number of years.

ReputationRep:
    Of course it is. A guy sitting in a corner of a bar by himself one night vs another night where he is seen talking and smiling with a couple of attractive girls. You don't need a psychology degree to know that he will be considered more attractive in the second scenario.

ReputationRep:
    The examples you've given have nothing to do with social proof theory.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by vickidc18)
    Eh I ended up with someone who doesn't have many friends or a social media account, it might be true for teenagers but for older women I'm not so sure.
    That's why I said not all women in bold. You could be right that older women (35 or more) are not as affected by it. Why do you think men don't act the same way though?

ReputationRep:
    People here focusing on the particulars not the universal; it's about social status, not having over a thousand freinds on facebook or whatever.

ReputationRep:
    Tbh, I've noticed lots of really extroverted girls ending up with guys like that and usually the guy is really successful or good at something :dontknow:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PythianLegume)
    Sure they do. It's about imitating the actions of others, especially when in doubt. Those men are already popular with other women or men and that alone makes them more attractive. But for some mysterious reason men don't need the same conditions to be fulfilled .

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mr Smurf)
    Of course it is. A guy sitting in a corner of a bar by himself one night vs another night where he is seen talking and smiling with a couple of attractive girls. You don't need a psychology degree to know that he will be considered more attractive in the second scenario.
    Yet reverse the genders in that scenario. Exact opposite. Obvious - but still interesting.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by StevieA)
    Sure they do. It's about imitating the actions of others, especially when in doubt. Those men are already popular with other women or men and that alone makes them more attractive. But for some mysterious reason men don't need the same conditions to be fulfilled .
    There are far better Psychological theories to explain this. Social proof is about wanting to do the socially acceptable thing in a certain scenario. It's about wanting to fit in and not make a fool of yourself. It has nothing to do with attraction to individuals.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by yo radical one)
    Tbh, I've noticed lots of really extroverted girls ending up with guys like that and usually the guy is really successful or good at something :dontknow:
    My fiance did Maths he's on 40k a year now and hopes to do contracting in 2 years where the pay is up to 650 a day!!!

ReputationRep:
    There are far better Psychological theories to explain this. Social proof is about wanting to do the socially acceptable thing in a certain scenario. It's about wanting to fit in and not make a fool of yourself. It has nothing to do with attraction to individuals.
    It's just another way to conform and subscribe to what seems like ''correct behavior''.

But anyway, why do you think women act like this but men don't?

ReputationRep:
    My condolences for ending up with a loser. Try harder next time.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by StevieA)
    I like it when the world reflects my expectations

ReputationRep:
    I spent way too long trying to draw links between OP's point and social proof theory. I guess if you thin it out and stretch it, it almost makes sense.

I remember reading a while ago on some trashy magazine that girls feel more comfortable knowing that a guy has been screen checked by many other women, rather than go for a guy who girls have very little experience with at all, cause the latter is probably a wildcard.

All in moderation, though. I'd say that a guy who claims to have 7 ex girlfriends by age 19 or 20 is a red flag.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by yo radical one)
    I like it when the world reflects my expectations
    Yea in before stereotypical reply about how money means nothing etc etc. My favorite excuse is when women claim they were with their husbands when the guys were still students so how could money be involved in their choice? Then they mention the guy was in medical school or training to be an air force pilot. I laugh evrtm.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.