Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi I'm a British citizen currently living overseas. My daughter was 13 when we emigrated, and wants to attend University in England or Wales. By the time she is old enough we will have lived abroad for 4 years. Will she be eligible to apply for a student loan?
    I've searched through the student finance FAQs which say that you have to have lived in England for 3 years. Does anyone know if those 3 years have to be immediately before uni or would the first 13 years of her life count?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mumoverseas)
    Hi I'm a British citizen currently living overseas. My daughter was 13 when we emigrated, and wants to attend University in England or Wales. By the time she is old enough we will have lived abroad for 4 years. Will she be eligible to apply for a student loan?
    I've searched through the student finance FAQs which say that you have to have lived in England for 3 years. Does anyone know if those 3 years have to be immediately before uni or would the first 13 years of her life count?
    No it has to be three years immediately before the course starts (there is a precise date for each course but obviously that doesn't matter in your case).

I assume you are not on British government service or working for anyone like the UN or NATO and I assume you are not in the EU.

ReputationRep:
    Soory but the advice you've been given is correct. I hope you are in the EU or it will be expensive.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.