Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

'Cheryl Cole name change is not only horribly sexist, it’s also basically medieval' Watch

ReputationRep:
    This article just appeared on my newsfeed, and although it is the Mirror I was curious. After having read it I do not see the big deal particularly. Admittedly I am male so I am pretty likely to keep my surname. I can understand if one had a professional reputation and so wanted to keep their surname for that sense. But other than that I am a bit stumped as to the big deal. Am I being very thick or is this another battleground feminists have taken to? Discuss.

http://www.mirror.co.uk/3am/celebrit...e-not-3870588#

ReputationRep:
    I believe a woman should want to charge their names after marriage. Not doing so (especially when it's just to make a point) means she also has other personality traits which will make her someone difficult to live with. Having said that, her new name is retarded.

ReputationRep:
    No it's not sexist. No it's not mysogynistic.

Just because you don't want to take your husbands surname doesn't mean other women don't. It's a stupid article written by a probably extreme feminist.

ReputationRep:
    I don't really think it matters. It seems like someone has been fishing around the bottom of the jar of offended jam with a longhandled spoon and pulled out a few pips to be upset about.

Some people will always need something to moan about.

Urgh, people. Why are they so ridiculous? It's just a name.

ReputationRep:
      Its an age old tradition of European society for the woman to change her name to that of the man. It ensures the patrilineal line continues and the history of the family doesn't die out. I'm not saying it should be obligatory (and it isn't), but there's nothing wrong with keeping up a tradition that does no harm. Feminists are going too far in assailing the so called 'patriarchy' without stopping to consider what it actually means. Maybe it is 'Medieval', but our country has Medieval origins, most of our names and surnames are of Medieval origin, our culture and our history is rooted in the Medieval era, and there's simply no need to fix what isn't broken: what is the problem with women being different to men, as long as they aren't inferior?

In an ideal world of course, the daughter would take the maiden name of her mother and carry on the matrilineal line, while the son would continue the name of the father. That would make more sense than this rubbish with double-barreled surnames and mixed surnames.

ReputationRep:
      Stupid article written by a stupid woman. Taking someones name is part of tradition, its a symbol of love if anything, and part of the "for life" idea of marriage, note how Cheryl kept Cole in order to boost her publicity ratings.

My mum kept her maiden name, and having a double barreled name as I do should be considered child abuse in my opinion. So long.

ReputationRep:
      It's the classic difference between having a stance on something and thinking everybody else should share the same stance.

I want to keep my name if I get married because (a) I like it, and (b) when I marry my partner I will still be a member of my family. I'm not marrying my boyfriend's mum/dad/aunties/uncles - I'm marrying my boyfriend.

English-speaking people seem to think name changing is the norm, but globally it isn't. Countless cultures in the world have never had any tradition of name changing after marriage, including most Arabic-speaking and middle Eastern countries and most Spanish and Portguese speaking countries, despite being highly conservative cultures or having been so in the past. Chinese women also keep their names for life. So at least a third to a half of the world's population live in countries where your name is your name and the idea of changing it is alien (when I lived in Spain people would ask me if it was "true" that we take our husbands' names in England as they couldn't even believe it!)

That's just my stance however. I don't expect Cheryl Cole/the rest of the world to share it!

ReputationRep:
      So someone who took the name of their first husband, marries again and does not wish to be known by that name. A first husband who did the dirty on her if reports are correct, and seems not to be well liked away from his profession? Is this news?

ReputationRep:
      I don't understand the fuss. It's just a name. :/

ReputationRep:
      The article suggests that women are FORCED to take the name, and she even says how great it would be if couples could/would just discuss it and decide whether she takes his, he takes hers, they double barrel, or do nothing at all.

Problem is, most people DO have that discussion, and still decide on her taking his, because it's more traditional. So she's making a story out of nothing.

ReputationRep:
      I wonder if she also thinks the fact that it's the cultural norm for the man to be the one who proposes to be horribly sexist?
      Or maybe the man also having to buy the engagement ring?
      Or how about the bride having to wear white as a sign of her purity?
      Maybe even being taken down the aisle by a father figure also being misogynistic?

Unless she comes out and also criticises these traditions then her article is just a pile of hypocritical rubbish. There are so many traditions in marriage all with a variety of meanings which can be construed as "sexist" and/or "misogynistic". This is mostly because it's a societal convention that is thousands of years old and was formed at a time when the roles of men and women were very different. It's silly to try and single out certain aspects of marriage as almost all of it could be considered out of touch with modern sensibilities.

This article is simply just another case of one of that small group of outspoken and hysterical feminists picking and choosing certain parts of societal norms to try and argue another way the female gender is "oppressed".

ReputationRep:
      I actually think adopting a new name at marriage is a sign of maturity and is good for women.

At birth, women are given a name from their family. However the new family name they shall adopt at marriage, is what they chose to adopt. It's an accomplishment that they no longer depend on their parents and have found a unity with a loving partner. Having a new name is fresh, exciting and marks a new independent era in your life, which could include career progression, motherhood or simply happiness.

Sadly most feminists today try to make any life event such as marriage or motherhood, come across as oppressing to womankind.

ReputationRep:
      Why wait until now to complain? Women can keep their birthnames now, so it's impossible that this could be sexist.

ReputationRep:
      This woman needs to stop over-thinking things and coming up with new excuses to oppose men. At the end of the day it's only a name and won't define the wife's personality. Besides, the original marriage vows aren't as followed through in 2014 as they were in the middle-ages, so she has nothing to worry about.

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by Clip)
      Hysteria used to be thought to be a condition affecting only women, and originating from their wombs.
      QI has taught me that the Greeks believed the womb could move about the body and that hysteria was induced when it did.
      • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
      It's a sexist tradition, given. But if a woman wants to do so why stop her?

I sure won't be changing mine though.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
      LOL at the poll on that article, 86% yes.

ReputationRep:
      I thought it was for better marketing, as people wouldn't take Cheryl Tweedy as seriously, especially in the States

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by Huskaris)
      Stupid article written by a stupid woman. Taking someones name is part of tradition, its a symbol of love if anything, and part of the "for life" idea of marriage, note how Cheryl kept Cole in order to boost her publicity ratings.

My mum kept her maiden name, and having a double barreled name as I do should be considered child abuse in my opinion. So long.
      PRSOM.

All your posts are godly. :adore:

1. See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

2. Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
  3. See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

4. The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.