The Student Room Group

parenthetical punctuation!! Have I used them correctly?

Have I used them correctly in the sentences below?

My boyfriend freddy is very controlling, he wants me to live by his rules, almost everyday.

The criminal standing up in the court, looked very aggressive, just like his displayed personality.

Many businesses have an attractive brand image, provoking and appealing, which enables them to look good in the public eye. Although building up a brand image may be difficult and time consuming, this is still a mandatory requirement for most businesses, and in order that they make their business recognisable.
Reply 1
Yo
Reply 2
Hey sexy chic
xxx <3
Reply 3
Have I used these correctly

yo yo yo man
yo mama went into a bar and said (the above)
First one, no. Second one, no.
Third one uses it correctly in the first sentence however the rest is awkwardly phrased.
Edit:
Would sound better as:
My boyfriend Freddy is very controlling, he wants me to live by his rules (almost everday).
Almost everyday is in brackets because I don't think it's necessary in the sentence at all, however, if you must add it, then take away the brackets.

You don't need a comma before "looked very aggressive"
Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 9 years ago)
So are the fist and second sentences wrong because they wouldn't make sense if I had removed the parenthetical element? Whereas, the last sentence will still make sense?

Thank you for your help :smile:
Original post by Highfiveyou
So are the fist and second sentences wrong because they wouldn't make sense if I had removed the parenthetical element? Whereas, the last sentence will still make sense?

Thank you for your help :smile:

Hey sorry I don't do A level English, I just think I have a fairly good grasp of punctuation (correct me if I'm wrong :tongue:)

The first two wouldn't make sense if you took our the middle section, other than that I'm afraid I can't help as I don't quite understand what you mean xD use your common sense and think about if it makes sense is all I can say, try and speak it with punctuation and see if it makes sense.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Oh thanks. I still appreciate your help! Thanks for that. :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending