Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi,

I have to choose between a master in Urban Economic Development at UCL and a master in Local Economic Development at LSE.
    I love both, I really don't know how to choose.

I have a bachelor in Economics (Italy) and a master in Spatial & Environmental Economics (Amsterdam). I'm sure that in Economics LSE is the best. However, I already have a very good master degree in economics, and I am therefore attracted by the UCL offer. The master at UCL is more practical, a lot of case study, field trips, presentations and work groups (and very few written exams). This can be very helpful to understand in practice which job I want to do later, and gain some practical skill.

Any suggestion or related experience?
    Thank you

ReputationRep:
    Congrats on admissions to two excellent programmes. Both are leading in regional econ development.
    LSE's programme is slightly older, more theoretical, research group with strong focus on London, transport, housing and local gov finance. It has some high profile profs (Travis & Co).

UCL: Strength derives from urban planning and Bartlett. Good areas in sustainability and some inter-disciplinary project work with other departments and Bartlett research groups. Friendly reputation and collaborative learning.

Given your educational profile and econ heavy qualification, your focus on learning methods rather solely course content is understandable. UCL's learning platform seems more appealing to you.

What are your professional goals?

ReputationRep:
    Thank you for the help.

Actually, I'm not sure about my professional goals, that's also why I find it difficult to make a choice.
    I would like to work for an NGO, in the Global South, developing projects for urban regeneration. But what does it mean in practice? I'm not sure...
    Moreover, now I'm 23, end eventually I don't think I want to live outside EU for all my life (having children, family...). Maybe in the long term I will end up working for the public sector, at a local level; for example for Milan municipality (my hometown), or in Amsterdam, London...
    Finally, I can also see myself in the research field.
    Anyway I'm not interested in high wages.

I know, it's really confusing...

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.