Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hello, just interested to know if any of this stuff is in P1-6?

Matrices: Canonical Forms, Gaussian Elimination, Cayley-Hamilton Theorem, matrix decompositions.

Differential Equations: General solution methods for 2nd order Ordinary Differential Equations.

Mathematical Structure: Mathematical proof, set theory (i.e. Boolean algebra), group theory (i.e. proving Fermat's Little Theorem).

Numerical Methods: Solving differential equations using Runga-Kutta methods, integration with Simpson's Rule,

Complex Numbers: complex mappings (incl. conformal mapping)

ReputationRep:
    Bloody hell, that looks complicated!

I think nearly all of that is Uni Level only; however:

"Differential Equations: General solution methods for 2nd order Ordinary Differential Equations." - This may appear in P6, I think I read something about it, where it appeared in P6. Maybe not though.

ReputationRep:
    Second order DEs of the form a(d2y/dx2)+b(dy/dx)+cy = f(x) are in P4. Mathematical proof is covered in P1-6 but there is not a huge emphasis upon proof in the A-level. Matrices are covered in P6. However, most of the stuff you mention is above a-level.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by shiny)
    Hello, just interested to know if any of this stuff is in P1-6?

Matrices: Canonical Forms, Gaussian Elimination, Cayley-Hamilton Theorem, matrix decompositions.

Differential Equations: General solution methods for 2nd order Ordinary Differential Equations.

Mathematical Structure: Mathematical proof, set theory (i.e. Boolean algebra), group theory (i.e. proving Fermat's Little Theorem).

Numerical Methods: Solving differential equations using Runga-Kutta methods, integration with Simpson's Rule,

Complex Numbers: complex mappings (incl. conformal mapping)
    I think in MEI P6 you will find Gaussian Elimination and the cayley-hamilton theorem.

As mikesgt2 has said you learn 2nd order ODE solutions in p4 edexcel.

Proof, including by induction, is done in p6 edexcel, you should probably read up a bit on set theory any way, and group theory is in mei p6. How do you use group theory to prove fermats little theorem? I've always done it by a direct method.

I don't think you'll find Runga-Kutta in anything, you might find simpsons rule in mei or aqa. Complex mappings are dealt with a bit in edexcel p6. (transformations from one set of complex numbers to another)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bono)
    Bloody hell, that looks complicated!

I think nearly all of that is Uni Level only; however:

"Differential Equations: General solution methods for 2nd order Ordinary Differential Equations." - This may appear in P6, I think I read something about it, where it appeared in P6. Maybe not though.

No, differential equations is P3 mate. Only first order though.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by shiny)
    , set theory (i.e. Boolean algebra), group theory (i.e. proving Fermat's Little Theorem).

LOL...the proof is over a hundred pages long.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ralfskini)
    LOL...the proof is over a hundred pages long.
    That's the last theorem

ReputationRep:
    The proof of Fermat's Little Theorem comes from the fact that for a finite cyclic group G of order n, there is exactly one subgroup of order d for every d which is a divisor of n.

ReputationRep:
    This is interesting since all the stuff I quoted was compulsory in the A-Level Further Maths syllabus I did!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by shiny)
    The proof of Fermat's Little Theorem comes from the fact that for a finite cyclic group G of order n, there is exactly one subgroup of order d for every d which is a divisor of n.
    Hmm, perhaps I still don't follow. How can conclude then that a^p-1 = 1 mod p where p is a prime that doesn't divide a? I've never really studied group theory properly so can't really see how this works...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by theone)
    Hmm, perhaps I still don't follow. How can conclude then that a^p-1 = 1 mod p where p is a prime that doesn't divide a? I've never really studied group theory properly so can't really see how this works...
    Let d be the order of a (where a is in the finite cyclic group Z which contains p-1 elements). From the theorem I just quoted, d divides p-1 or p-1 = qd ...

Hence,
    a^(p-1) (mod p) = (a^d)^q (mod p) = 1^q (mod p) = 1 mod p

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by shiny)
    Let d be the order of a (where a is in the finite cyclic group Z which contains p-1 elements). From the theorem I just quoted, d divides p-1 or p-1 = qd ...

Hence,
    a^(p-1) (mod p) = (a^d)^q (mod p) = 1^q (mod p) = 1 mod p
    Ah, thanks for that (Far easier than my method of proving it )

ReputationRep:
    Ah, thanks for that (Far easier than my method of proving it )
    What did you do? Induction?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by shiny)
    What did you do? Induction?
    Imagine the numbers a, 2a, 3a ... (p-1)a. where a is coprime to p

Now if any of these are congruent mod p, then we have the difference is 0 mod p. But the difference is going to be na where n < p. Now both of these are coprime to p, so the difference can not be 0 mod p. So none of the numbers are congruent mod p.

So the numbers are have different congruences mod p. Therefore they must, in some order, equate to 1, 2, 3, 4... p-1 mod p.

Taking the product. (p-1)! a^p-1 = (p-1)! mod p. Dividing through gives a^p-1 = 1 mod p.

ReputationRep:
    Imagine the numbers a, 2a, 3a ... (p-1)a. where a is coprime to p

Now if any of these are congruent mod p, then we have the difference is 0 mod p. But the difference is going to be na where n < p. Now both of these are coprime to p, so the difference can not be 0 mod p. So none of the numbers are congruent mod p.

So the numbers are have different congruences mod p. Therefore they must, in some order, equate to 1, 2, 3, 4... p-1 mod p.

Taking the product. (p-1)! a^p-1 = (p-1)! mod p. Dividing through gives a^p-1 = 1 mod p.
    I don't think I have ever thought of it quite like that.

Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: April 17, 2004

University open days

1. University of Cambridge
    Christ's College Undergraduate
    Wed, 26 Sep '18
  2. Norwich University of the Arts
    Undergraduate Open Days Undergraduate
    Fri, 28 Sep '18
  3. Edge Hill University
    Faculty of Health and Social Care Undergraduate
    Sat, 29 Sep '18
Poll
Which accompaniment is best?
Useful resources

Make your revision easier

Maths

Maths Forum posting guidelines

Not sure where to post? Read the updated guidelines here

Equations

How to use LaTex

Writing equations the easy way

Student revising

Study habits of A* students

Top tips from students who have already aced their exams

Study Planner

Create your own Study Planner

Never miss a deadline again

Polling station sign

Thinking about a maths degree?

Chat with other maths applicants

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.