Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I really want to do english, but I'm now considering doing philosophy instead due to the massive competition. I ideally want to go to a good university and particularly like leeds and manchester, however in the leeds open day i was really surprised at the number of applicants. I know some people say you should focus first on your course and then the university, but I am very interested in philosophy too. Obviously if i don't get predicted 3 A's at A level(the requirement) it will be an easy decision. But how do people stand out with all that competition?

ReputationRep:
    Hi! I'm an English applicant for English (Single Honours) at Royal Holloway which, whilst not a RG uni is still high in rankings and stuff. My advice (as someone who got 5/5 offers for English) is to have extra curricular things going on as well as the standard reading and link your subject to them, for instance I was the SU President so I talked about how reading and studying English changed the way in which I addressed certain people such as students, business owners, College Governors, public speaking ect.

I also made to sure to mention my diverse reading but linked it back to YA fiction because that is my favourite style of novel, but I explained why. The one thing that was drilled into my head was Unis don't want a list of books you've read (especially not those on the syllabus!!!!).

I can't tell you about competition because I haven't got in yet what I can say is I wasn't predicted nor will I get 3 A's, I got reduced offers from all my Unis and even though I'm predicted BBB I believe there is a good chance I will get the ABB to get into RHUL. More importantly I worked my a-se off to get it!

So, don't let competition put you off, if in doubt apply to the same Uni twice or three times, English single honours, English joint with Philosophy and Philosophy on it's own. You'll be amazed at the difference in entry requirements and you could find a way to link it all together in your PS. I hope I helped settle any nerves, because English is a great subject and more people should take it - without taking away anyones place at Uni that is
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Amiee1)
    I really want to do english, but I'm now considering doing philosophy instead due to the massive competition. I ideally want to go to a good university and particularly like leeds and manchester, however in the leeds open day i was really surprised at the number of applicants. I know some people say you should focus first on your course and then the university, but I am very interested in philosophy too. Obviously if i don't get predicted 3 A's at A level(the requirement) it will be an easy decision. But how do people stand out with all that competition?
    Unlike the above poster, I'm not convinced that demonstrating that you know what register is and linking your burning passion for knitting (or whatever ECs you're into) back to YA fiction is the only route to success here. Just make sure your PS makes it clear that you're a thoughtful candidate who has read outside their A-Level syllabus and is interested in studying university-level texts and ideas. My advice would be to apply for what you want to do, which seems to be English. Do not compromise out of fear of failure: you get five choices, so you can apply for more ambitious choices and also more reliable ones. If the most important thing for you is to go to what you consider to be a 'good' university, then, in the worst case scenario, you would not get offers from Leeds and Manchester and re-apply the following year for a less competitive subject.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.