Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Will there be no fighter pilot in the future? Watch

ReputationRep:
    I heard from the news and people around me that fighter pilot won't be needed since the unmanned drones will take over in a few year time. Is this true? I mean, people fly because they love flying. Having drones is the same as saying they can't achieve their dream! Please tell me!

ReputationRep:
    Its makes sense. 4 things to consider

1. Manned aircraft can only dog fight at up to 9 G before the pilot's blood vessels burst and blinds or/and kills him

2. Pilots are a political liability if they are shoot down and killed or captured

3. Piloted aircraft are limited by the fact they have to accommodate a human and life sustaining equipment such as oxygen and ejection seats which imposes a size limit to the aircraft. An unmanned aircraft can be made smaller making it more difficult to detect and cheaper so you can have more of them.

4. Unmanned aircraft can have much greater duration in the air making them harder to destroy on the ground and making them more available for combat.

ReputationRep:
    I doubt it; as I'm sure there are quite a lot of advantages of having someone in the cockpit in many instances. Still, fighter pilots are needed to fly the drones. Autonomous drones are a big no no for most people; having watched the Terminator franchise.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AviationIsMyLife)
    I heard from the news and people around me that fighter pilot won't be needed since the unmanned drones will take over in a few year time. Is this true? I mean, people fly because they love flying. Having drones is the same as saying they can't achieve their dream! Please tell me!
    Let me guess, you wanted to be a pilot?

ReputationRep:
    I think it will be 10 to 20 years before manned combat aircraft is phased out so if the OP wants to fly, there is opportunity to do so.

I think less advanced countries would still have to maintain their inventory of manned military aircraft for the foreseeable future because changing aircraft is very expensive.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Maker)
    I think it will be 10 to 20 years before manned combat aircraft is phased out so if the OP wants to fly, there is opportunity to do so.

I think less advanced countries would still have to maintain their inventory of manned military aircraft for the foreseeable future because changing aircraft is very expensive.
    I'm 12, is there still a chance?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AviationIsMyLife)
    I'm 12, is there still a chance?
    Yes, there are lot of military aircraft that still need human pilots and I am sure there will still be a lot of manned fighters in 10 years.

ReputationRep:
    I think that it is highly likely that combat and reconnaissance aircraft will be unmanned in the future for all the reasons described above. The only form of aircraft to remain piloted will likely be transport, since humans will probably want to be flown around by humans. We barely have driverless trains, and those things literally run on rails!

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
    Useful resources
    Bizarre things students have spent their loans onThings you should budget for at uni

Sponsored features:

Making money from your own website

Need some cash?

How to make money running your own website.

Bianca Miller, runner-up on The Apprentice

Handle your digital footprint

What would an employer find out about you on Google? Find out how to take control.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.