The Student Room Group

SQA Results Service 2014 FAQ - A Replacement for Appeals

What is the results service?

The results service is an SQA replacement of the previous appeals system as of 2014. Like the appeals system, it is an attempt by the SQA to make sure candidates receive the grades and qualifications that they really deserve, in spite of what could be considered underperforming in the main exam.

How does the results service work?

There are two types of results service that the SQA provide: exceptional circumstances consideration, and the post-results service.

What is the Exceptional Circumstances Consideration Service?

This service is open only prior to results day. If you believe your exam performance has been affected by exceptional circumstances (e.g. bereavement; illness ... ), then your school or centre can submit an "appeal" on your behalf for this to be taken into account. Along with this, alternative evidence of your past performance can be submitted - including things like prelims, other mock exams, or coursework. In this way, the exceptional circumstance consideration service is most like the previous appeals service.
In addition to this, the SQA will also take the results of other candidates from your school/centre into account when considering your exam performance.

What is the Post Results Service?

This service is available only after results day. Instead of submitting an appeal, the SQA provide you the opportunity to request a clerical check (checking that all of your exam has been marked, the marks added up correctly, and then your marks added correctly to the SQA's database) or marking review (effectively a remark. A clerical check is inclusive with a marking review. i.e. if you submit for a marking review, you get a clerical check, too).
The use of these services can lead to an increase or decrease of your grade if the SQA discover there has been an error with the paper. Meaning that if you get a B, your grade may be bumped up to an A (if they discover they've given you too few marks) or down to a C (if they discover you've been given marks you shouldn't have). This means that, unlike appeals, there's an inherent risk in submitting a clerical check or marking review.
Alternative evidence will not be considered in the post results service, and if this submission does not lead to a change in your grade, then your school/centre will be charged a fee for its submission.

So what if my grade changes as a result of the post results service?

Then you will be issued with a new, updated Scottish Qualifications Certificate and the SQA will change your grade in their system.

Who can use the new results service?

Everyone. Unlike the old appeals service where only a select few candidates who performed below their estimation were eligible for an appeal, all candidates who have completed their course are eligible to use the results service.

Should I try to submit a clerical check/marking review?

As this is a new system for 2014, the experience of TSR Group staff, volunteers and users with this system is extremely limited! Thus, the advice we can give you about whether or not a check and/or review is "worth" it is also extremely limited. The best people to ask for advice are your counsellors and teachers at school!

I missed the grade for my university offer! I need a marking review fast! What can I do?

As with appeals, the SQA still offer a priority marking review service. It is important that you get in contact with your school to explain that you require a priority review in order to meet your conditional offer. It is also important that you contact the university where you are hoping to meet the conditions and tell them that you have submitted a priority marking review to the SQA in the hope that you will meet the conditions. They will probably have already declined you on UCAS Track but if you make them aware of this new information, it is likely that they'll wait to hear about the result of your SQA appeal. The latest a university will hear about the result of your marking review is 29 August 2014, so it might be worthwhile giving them this date, too.

What are the deadlines for using the post results service?

The closing date for priority marking review requests is 20 August 2014, with the outcome being received by 29 August 2014.

The closing date for non-priority clerical check or marking review requests is 27 August 2014. The outcome of a clerical check will be delivered to a centre within 10 working days of the receipt of a request; the outcome of a marking review will be delivered to centres from 2 September 2014.

For full information, including answers to more questions and key dates, you can check the full SQA results service page here.
(edited 9 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Posted from TSR Mobile

Basically is you need 1or 2 more marks for the grade above appeal, if not don't bother.
Original post by LionKing1
Posted from TSR Mobile

Basically is you need 1or 2 more marks for the grade above appeal, if not don't bother.

It depends. For STEM subjects, this may be the case. But for essay-based subjects a remark could make a bigger difference due to the more subjective marking. However, do keep in mind that your result can go down as well!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Hype en Ecosse
What is the results service?

The results service is an SQA replacement of the previous appeals system as of 2014. Like the appeals system, it is an attempt by the SQA to make sure candidates receive the grades and qualifications that they really deserve, in spite of what could be considered underperforming in the main exam.

How does the results service work?

There are two types of results service that the SQA provide: exceptional circumstances consideration, and the post-results service.

What is the Exceptional Circumstances Consideration Service?

This service is open only prior to results day. If you believe your exam performance has been affected by exceptional circumstances (e.g. bereavement; illness ... ), then your school or centre can submit an "appeal" on your behalf for this to be taken into account. Along with this, alternative evidence of your past performance can be submitted - including things like prelims, other mock exams, or coursework. In this way, the exceptional circumstance consideration service is most like the previous appeals service.
In addition to this, the SQA will also take the results of other candidates from your school/centre into account when considering your exam performance.

What is the Post Results Service?

This service is available only after results day. Instead of submitting an appeal, the SQA provide you the opportunity to request a clerical check (checking that all of your exam has been marked, the marks added up correctly, and then your marks added correctly to the SQA's database) or marking review (effectively a remark. A clerical check is inclusive with a marking review. i.e. if you submit for a marking review, you get a clerical check, too).
The use of these services can lead to an increase or decrease of your grade if the SQA discover there has been an error with the paper. Meaning that if you get a B, your grade may be bumped up to an A (if they discover they've given you too few marks) or down to a C (if they discover you've been given marks you shouldn't have). This means that, unlike appeals, there's an inherent risk in submitting a clerical check or marking review.
Alternative evidence will not be considered in the post results service, and if this submission does not lead to a change in your grade, then your school/centre will be charged a fee for its submission.

So what if my grade changes as a result of the post results service?

Then you will be issued with a new, updated Scottish Qualifications Certificate and the SQA will change your grade in their system.

Who can use the new results service?

Everyone. Unlike the old appeals service where only a select few candidates who performed below their estimation were eligible for an appeal, all candidates who have completed their course are eligible to use the results service.

Should I try to submit a clerical check/marking review?

As this is a new system for 2014, the experience of TSR Group staff, volunteers and users with this system is extremely limited! Thus, the advice we can give you about whether or not a check and/or review is "worth" it is also extremely limited. The best people to ask for advice are your counsellors and teachers at school!

I missed the grade for my university offer! I need a marking review fast! What can I do?

As with appeals, the SQA still offer a priority marking review service. It is important that you get in contact with your school to explain that you require a priority review in order to meet your conditional offer. It is also important that you contact the university where you are hoping to meet the conditions and tell them that you have submitted a priority marking review to the SQA in the hope that you will meet the conditions. They will probably have already declined you on UCAS Track but if you make them aware of this new information, it is likely that they'll wait to hear about the result of your SQA appeal. The latest a university will hear about the result of your marking review is 29 August 2014, so it might be worthwhile giving them this date, too.

What are the deadlines for using the post results service?

The closing date for priority marking review requests is 20 August 2014, with the outcome being received by 29 August 2014.

The closing date for non-priority clerical check or marking review requests is 27 August 2014. The outcome of a clerical check will be delivered to a centre within 10 working days of the receipt of a request; the outcome of a marking review will be delivered to centres from 2 September 2014.

For full information, including answers to more questions and key dates, you can check the full SQA results service page here.

I haven't read through this thread so someone might have mentioned it, but I believe the Exceptional Circumstances Consideration Service is not available if you feel you have underperformed after an exam, but this needs to be declared prior to the exam. I don't think it works retrospectively. :smile:

You can double check this!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by AspiringMedic8
I haven't read through this thread so someone might have mentioned it, but I believe the Exceptional Circumstances Consideration Service is not available if you feel you have underperformed after an exam, but this needs to be declared prior to the exam. I don't think it works retrospectively. :smile:

You can double check this!

Posted from TSR Mobile

You have 10 days after your last exam

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 5
Got a C for English but my teacher predicted A/B for my folio etc. Should I apply?
Original post by tdan22
Got a C for English but my teacher predicted A/B for my folio etc. Should I apply?

If you need a higher grade in English, then no harm in it, I think. Be aware of the risk of your grade possibly going down, though - you should talk to your teachers to see if it's worth it. :smile:
Original post by tdan22

Your folio was only 20% of the mark, so you must've scored lower in the close reading and critical essays.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 8
Original post by AspiringMedic8
Your folio was only 20% of the mark, so you must've scored lower in the close reading and critical essays.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I know, but English is a subjective subject so I might as well give it a shot. All I need is a B
Reply 9
How do you apply for a remark? Do you have to get the school to do it?
Original post by Craig..
How do you apply for a remark? Do you have to get the school to do it?

Yep you will need to contact your school about it. :smile:
Original post by tdan22
I know, but English is a subjective subject so I might as well give it a shot. All I need is a B

Not really. The marking is so standardised that your essays should have been scored fairly. The main criteria for deciding which mark you get is determined by how frequently you answer the question, if you stay on topic, if you use quotation to back up what you say and if you are technically accurate in your writing. None of those things are subjective! Also: your school will only let you request a marking review if you achieve lower than your predicted grade. Find out what your predicted grade was and then consider your options.

Posted from TSR Mobile
If my school requests a remark for me, will every paper/folio piece submitted to the SQA be checked again or is it just the actual exam papers that were sat on the day that are remarked?

For example, an English folio or a History Extended Essay? I only got a B for Higher History despite getting the highest mark in the year for the prelim and I'm really not sure what I did wrong, so I was just wondering if they would remark all of my scripts or just the final exam papers?
(edited 9 years ago)
I was one mark off an A in chemistry, think I should ask for a remark? ( it's very import I get an A?
Original post by The beast97
I was one mark off an A in chemistry, think I should ask for a remark? ( it's very import I get an A?

You have nothing to lose I guess, go for it.
Hello, question for Sam please...

My child got a surprise C grade for a subject but was predicted a B. The school say they will not request remarks unless the predicted grade is 2 away from the actual result. I have told there is a opportunity to appeal against this decision but I have to contact the SQA to do this. I can't find anything on the SQA about this and I'm aware time is short to get remark requests in. I am also prepared to pay for the remark service if the school are unwilling to. What to do please?
Original post by motherofanumpty
hello, question for sam please...

My child got a surprise c grade for a subject but was predicted a b. The school say they will not request remarks unless the predicted grade is 2 away from the actual result. I have told there is a opportunity to appeal against this decision but i have to contact the sqa to do this. I can't find anything on the sqa about this and i'm aware time is short to get remark requests in. I am also prepared to pay for the remark service if the school are unwilling to. What to do please?

mysqa
x

FAO Sam! :biggrin:
What happened to all my capital letters in your quote?:eek: I'm sure someone back in the dark ages taught me about capital letters. :wink:
Original post by Motherofanumpty
Hello, question for Sam please...

My child got a surprise C grade for a subject but was predicted a B. The school say they will not request remarks unless the predicted grade is 2 away from the actual result. I have told there is a opportunity to appeal against this decision but I have to contact the SQA to do this. I can't find anything on the SQA about this and I'm aware time is short to get remark requests in. I am also prepared to pay for the remark service if the school are unwilling to. What to do please?

The easiest thing to do is to approach the school yourself. Be quick, though. The deadline is approaching

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 9 years ago)
Apparently I was 1 mark off a B in AH English, should I ask for a marking review :tongue:

Quick Reply