The Student Room Group

My gcse's are average have i got a chance at oxford?

I'm sorry for starting another thread about GCSE's but i need your advice.

I'm 25 and will be starting the A2 year in September I'm studying maths, further maths and physics and i want to do engineering at Oxford.

I have already completed a level 3 Engineering diploma and have gained experience working with 3D design, machinery, I have built projects at home and pitched a project to a company along with my partner. I have looked on the recommended reading list and read a few of the listed books and i want to read more about the subject. I like to read new scientist when i see a copy in the library.

I have a real passion for engineering and really want to do remarkable things the only disadvantage i have are my GCSE grades which are mostly C's.

Providing i get A*AA or above at A level have i got a chance? My thought process is that i did GCSE's 9 years ago and it will not sufficiently measure my current or future ability. If i score high on the PAT and do well at A level wouldn't that be a better indication of my potential rather than what happened 9 years ago? I'm sure my motivation and passion will be seen at the interview if i'm offered one. Retaking GCSE's to me would seem unnecessary and due to my age not a significant accomplishment.

What is your opinion?
Original post by James2015
I'm sorry for starting another thread about GCSE's but i need your advice.

I'm 25 and will be starting the A2 year in September I'm studying maths, further maths and physics and i want to do engineering at Oxford.

I have already completed a level 3 Engineering diploma and have gained experience working with 3D design, machinery, I have built projects at home and pitched a project to a company along with my partner. I have looked on the recommended reading list and read a few of the listed books and i want to read more about the subject. I like to read new scientist when i see a copy in the library.

I have a real passion for engineering and really want to do remarkable things the only disadvantage i have are my GCSE grades which are mostly C's.

Providing i get A*AA or above at A level have i got a chance? My thought process is that i did GCSE's 9 years ago and it will not sufficiently measure my current or future ability. If i score high on the PAT and do well at A level wouldn't that be a better indication of my potential rather than what happened 9 years ago? I'm sure my motivation and passion will be seen at the interview if i'm offered one. Retaking GCSE's to me would seem unnecessary and due to my age not a significant accomplishment.

What is your opinion?

You may be okay but Cambridge may be better because they think that A-Level is what matters only so if you get A*AA at A-Level, your GCSE's wouldn't matter very much. According to them. However, that being said, Engineering is very competitive.

Good luck!
If they were 9 years ago then it shouldn't matter too much as long as your A levels make up for it. If you don't get predicted an A* then you probably won't get in. On your personal statement really big up the work you have done
Original post by Alex Doran
If they were 9 years ago then it shouldn't matter too much as long as your A levels make up for it. If you don't get predicted an A* then you probably won't get in. On your personal statement really big up the work you have done

Yeah, speak about how you've gone from an average student to a high achiever which you will hVe if you go from C's to A/A*'s.
Reply 4
Original post by JayJay-C19
You may be okay but Cambridge may be better because they think that A-Level is what matters only so if you get A*AA at A-Level, your GCSE's wouldn't matter very much. According to them. However, that being said, Engineering is very competitive.

Good luck!

Original post by Alex Doran

Original post by JayJay-C19
Yeah, speak about how you've gone from an average student to a high achiever which you will hVe if you go from C's to A/A*'s.

Thanks your replies i will have a look at both universities and assess my options. I will include all the work experience I've done hopefully it will make up for my GCSE's.
Reply 5
Thanks your replies i will have a look at both universities and assess my options. I will include all the work experience I've done hopefully it will make up for my GCSE's.

The GCSEs aren't relevant, given how long ago they were. If you're applying to Cambridge, you need good UMS marks at AS-level and if you're applying to Oxford, you'll need to score well on the PAT. Neither University will care about GCSEs from another age.
Reply 6

It's not a CV. Mention your work experience by weaving it to the context of the paragraph rather than just listing it. And I'm assuming it is relevant to the subject and not something like stacking shelves at ASDA because that would be stupid.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending