Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

How hard is it to get onto a good English course? Watch

ReputationRep:
    I really want to do english, but I'm now considering doing philosophy instead due to the massive competition. I ideally want to go to a good university and particularly like leeds and manchester, however in the leeds open day i was really surprised at the number of applicants. I know some people say you should focus first on your course and then the university, but I am very interested in philosophy too. Obviously if i don't get predicted 3 A's at A level(the requirement) it will be an easy decision. But how do people stand out with all that competition?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Amiee1)
    I really want to do english, but I'm now considering doing philosophy instead due to the massive competition. I ideally want to go to a good university and particularly like leeds and manchester, however in the leeds open day i was really surprised at the number of applicants. I know some people say you should focus first on your course and then the university, but I am very interested in philosophy too. Obviously if i don't get predicted 3 A's at A level(the requirement) it will be an easy decision. But how do people stand out with all that competition?

Alike any university with tough competition. If you meet the entry requirements, or are predicted to meet the entry requirements then perhaps you should consider extra-curricular activities and/or other activities alike. Perhaps Student Ambassador, or something similar. A lot of it will also depend on the quality of your Personal Statement.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
    Useful resources
    AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.