Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Seeing as these unis apparantly have the most mathematically rigorous econ courses, how would my application be affected if I get an A* in maths having taken it in year 12 getting 95+UMS in c3&4 yet less than an 85 average UMS across all 6 modules?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Johnpeters)
    Seeing as these unis apparantly have the most mathematically rigorous econ courses, how would my application be affected if I get an A* in maths having taken it in year 12 getting 95+UMS in c3&4 yet less than an 85 average UMS across all 6 modules?
    Apart from Oxford E&M, I would agree with your first quote. This course I would say is less mathematical than the likes of Bristol/Bath etc, since the element of management isn't mathematical (to my limited knowledge).

Note that LSE and Cambridge ask for ALL UMS scores, so a low average in maths will work to your disadvantage, since applicants tend to have flawless math scores. That being said, I would say that LSE wouldn't mind too much since they stipulate an A* in maths, so that being achieved they'd be happy to accept you're good at maths, but Cambridge are especially picky when it comes to UMS and it's their deciding factor (this doesn't rule you out of Cambridge though). If it's one module that brings down your math average then you'll be glad to hear they look at module scores closely. So if it isn't a core/stats module, that will work more in your favour.

You should be pretty confident of getting an offer from Warwick and UCL, as long as your other grades are up to scratch and your PS isn't a disaster.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: July 24, 2014
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.