Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Cambridge and oxford uni? Watch

ReputationRep:
    so baisically i saw a thread and a person was commeting about going to oxford or cambridge to study medicine.(one of them) because they fell in love with the place. To me that person was more interested in those two unis because of the names than studying medicine itself.

so do people just want to go to these unis because of the uni names and the fact that those two unis are popular and very competitive to get into well at least for medicine. Is there something much more to those unis and the people going there than just for the name sake.

*not sure whether this is posted in the right place.

ReputationRep:
    Or maybe they were just saying that they liked the environment? After all, that's the main reason for most people choosing their universities; why should Oxford or Cambridge be different?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    most people apply purely for the brand -- hence why they don't get in.
    • TSR Support Team
    • Very Important Poster
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    Moved to Chat
    • PS Helper
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by shadowdweller)
    Moved to Chat

Cheeky! It might actually have been at home in Society, seeing as it's discussing an aspect of society..... :sly:

So YOU're the reason Society is just Men boohooing and people blaming immigrants. Nothing else allowed :huff:

:giggle:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by German123)
    so baisically i saw a thread and a person was commeting about going to oxford or cambridge to study medicine.(one of them) because they fell in love with the place. To me that person was more interested in those two unis because of the names than studying medicine itself.

so do people just want to go to these unis because of the uni names and the fact that those two unis are popular and very competitive to get into well at least for medicine. Is there something much more to those unis and the people going there than just for the name sake.

*not sure whether this is posted in the right place.
    College system, tutorial system, research expertise and facilities, unrivalled society and sports provision, the city, short terms, heavily subsidised cost of living, generous financial support, very high student satisfaction...

There are medicine specific ones too - academic course, intercalation for all, opportunity to go to London, far greater postgrad exam pass rates, small school, high patient to student ratio, the administration isn't a disaster like at other schools (as per the best student satisfaction pretty much every year).

Etc etc.

ReputationRep:
    i got an offer from cambridge and i can safely say that i the only reason i firmed it is because of the brand. my insurance is imperial and imperial offer a better course imo... but if you wunna get an international job with an oxbridge stamp on ur cv then u stand an amazing chance.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by nexttime)
    College system, tutorial system, research expertise and facilities, unrivalled society and sports provision, the city, short terms, heavily subsidised cost of living, generous financial support, very high student satisfaction...

There are medicine specific ones too - academic course, intercalation for all, opportunity to go to London, far greater postgrad exam pass rates, small school, high patient to student ratio, the administration isn't a disaster like at other schools (as per the best student satisfaction pretty much every year).

Etc etc.

ReputationRep:
    What I liked about Oxbridge was also the location. It's just such a beautiful area.

ReputationRep:
    There's a few reasons I applied for Cambridge, the main one is that I just generally liked it. It felt right when I went on the open day which was the main decider. I like the college system too compared to just halls at other unis. Also, I like being pushed to the best of my ability so I'd like to go somewhere where the work is hard (although the work is probably equally hard at places like Imperial, UCL, etc). The large amount of grants and bursaries help me out a lot too, I probably wouldn't be able to afford living in London even with the extra student finance money.

ReputationRep:
    Well, I think that both those universities must have earned their reputation for achieving high success academically. The reason why many people want to go to either one of them is because of what they have to offer, for example during lectures the people who are usually teaching the subject are well-known and esteemed experts in their area. Furthermore because the places are very competitive to get into, this means that the people their will be highly intelligent and will have worked hard to get a postion there, therefore students attitudes towards learning will have an effect on you, and you will want to strive to do the best you can do. These are only a few reasons on why so many people want to go here, however there are many more reasons - such as their reputation of being competitive meaning many employers will see that you are one of the best of the best and will work hard to get the work done, therefore you have a very high chance of getting the job.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Clary Herondale)
    Well, I think that both those universities must have earned their reputation for achieving high success academically. The reason why many people want to go to either one of them is because of what they have to offer, for example during lectures the people who are usually teaching the subject are well-known and esteemed experts in their area. Furthermore because the places are very competitive to get into, this means that the people their will be highly intelligent and will have worked hard to get a postion there, therefore students attitudes towards learning will have an effect on you, and you will want to strive to do the best you can do. These are only a few reasons on why so many people want to go here, however there are many more reasons - such as their reputation of being competitive meaning many employers will see that you are one of the best of the best and will work hard to get the work done, therefore you have a very high chance of getting the job.
    Remember life does not go in a straight line so dont stress of over exam results...as it is not all about going to Cambridge or oxford-you dont have to go there to make something good out of your life so do what suits you.

Edit: It is not all about a piece of paper with your name on it

ReputationRep:
    No there's no other reason other than it's Oxbridge.

ReputationRep:
    I am going to Oxford in October 2014 and the only reason I can say I applied there was because I honestly fell in love with the architecture and the feel of the place. I also thought the course suited me greatly, and the amount of financial support you get is greater than other universities.

Something that really annoys me is how much discussions like this put off capable students from applying. I do think some people will apply for the name but it is certainly not the majority.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Admittedly the architecture in both cities is very beautiful but surely the teaching is more important?

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    Useful resources
    AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.