Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Does NHS cover for Acne treatment? Watch

ReputationRep:
    Hi,
    I am an international student coming to UK for an undergrad degree. i wanted to know whether the medications and prescriptions is free for students. Currently i use accutane to control my acne problem. If this medicine is not free, then what is the price of it?

Thanks for answering

ReputationRep:
    It's free if you in full time education (and under 20 or something like that)... I've had prescriptions for accutane, lymecycline and duac gel all on the NHS. Long live the NHS!

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anakin_Skywalker)
    Hi,
    I am an international student coming to UK for an undergrad degree. i wanted to know whether the medications and prescriptions is free for students. Currently i use accutane to control my acne problem. If this medicine is not free, then what is the price of it?

Thanks for answering
    You get prescriptions for free if you're 16, 17, or 18 and in full-time education. University students do not get free prescriptions - they have to pay a charge of £8.05 per item.

However, they can get something called a HC2 certificate, through which you pay £8.05 per item to the pharmacy, but then you can claim the money back from the NHS Business Services Authority (NHSBSA). Make sure to keep all of your receipts. You need to fill in a form, which needs to be assessed by the NHSBSA before receiving the certificate. You can find the form online, print it off, fill it in, and then send it off in the post.

I know this applies to UK students, but I'm not sure whether it can also be used by EU / international students.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anakin_Skywalker)
    Hi,

Thanks for answering
    The charge is £8.05 for all prescription items.

You should be able to get accutane on the NHS, but you may not be able to get it straight from the GP. Some may be willing to prescribe if you bring your previous records and evidence of previous prescriptions, but in some PCTs it can only be started by a dermatologist. You can get referred to a dermatologist by your GP, but this will all take time, so I'd advise you to bring a good supply with you.

ReputationRep:
    If you live in Wales, then everything's free. In England, however, there's prescription charge, like others have pointed out.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: July 20, 2014
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.