Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

student. book Watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Hello,
    I am doing GCSE equivalency in English . I haven't been learning in British schools. So I don't know the curriculum. could you please recommend course books for me and what are the novels that I should study?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by fatmamaged)
    Hello,
    I am doing GCSE equivalency in English . I haven't been learning in British schools. So I don't know the curriculum. could you please recommend course books for me and what are the novels that I should study?

That would depend on what ones you were doing on your actual course.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JayJay-C19)
    That would depend on what ones you were doing on your actual course.

Exxuse me, can you explain more

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by fatmamaged)
    Exxuse me, can you explain more
    Well, if you're studying a GCSE or something similar, that course should have some texts or something that they have already set for you to study for the qualification? I'm sorry, if that's incorrect then I'm not sure what you're asking for.

ReputationRep:
    I did GCSE English at college 2013/2014. I think it all depends on the examination board which texts you will study. My examination board was AQA and we studied 3 international short stories, Shakespeare's Romeo and Juliet and poetry from the First World War. There was also some creative writing tasks and writing to describe or persuade. I'm pretty sure that the texts and poetry will change each year so you might have to just wait and see. What I would do, to prepare, is to search online for past exam papers, just so you have an idea what to expect. I hope this helps,

Emma xxx

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by EmmaVicky32)
    I did GCSE English at college 2013/2014. I think it all depends on the examination board which texts you will study. My examination board was AQA and we studied 3 international short stories, Shakespeare's Romeo and Juliet and poetry from the First World War. There was also some creative writing tasks and writing to describe or persuade. I'm pretty sure that the texts and poetry will change each year so you might have to just wait and see. What I would do, to prepare, is to search online for past exam papers, just so you have an idea what to expect. I hope this helps,

Emma xxx

Posted from TSR Mobile
    OP; this is what I was on about. Your course should have specific set texts and you'd be advised to read them first beforehand. Extensive reading is helpful but not very necessary at GCSE to be honest as in exams, you shouldn't compare texts.

Good luck!

ReputationRep:
    I did hear that from September, the curriculum is changing in that English at GCSE level will be mainly exam. I've just done mine and my course was made up of 5 assignments.
    1st one was a comparison between 3 short stories,
    2nd one was a persuasive task about my favourite TV show,
    3rd was an analytical task based around Benvolio, a character in Romeo and Juliet,
    4th was a descriptive piece about a great time in my life and
    5th was a comparison between 2 poems from the First World War.

The Exam was made up 4 questions talking about and comparing three different forms of writing and 2 questions based around creative writing.

Emma xxx

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by EmmaVicky32)

Emma xxx

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Thank you very much Emma..That was really helpful.
    I was searching for books and some the titles of the books are AQA GCSE. Could you please tell me what does it mean.
    Thank you very much.

ReputationRep:
    AQA are the examination board and GCSE is the qualification

Posted from TSR Mobile

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
    Useful resources

Make your revision easier

OMAM

Ultimate Of Mice And Men Thread

Plot, context, character analysis and everything in between.

Notes

Revision Hub

All our revision materials in one place

Love books

Common grammar and vocabulary problems

Get your questions asked and answered

Useful literary websitesStudy help rules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.