Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi everyone,

I'm really in two minds about going to University. I'm 21 now and back when I was doing my A-Levels I'd really had enough of the education system and wanted to start working. I found myself an Apprenticeship in IT and have been working in the same job ever since, but recently I've been thinking 'what if?' about my decision to not go to Uni.

For years I've been quite self-conscious about not going, and people have always told me how surprised they are that I didn't go. Forgive me if I sound arrogant, but I always thought of myself as a very intelligent person, and I believe that going to University would be the perfect challenge for me to undertake.

I still want to continue a career in IT, but I want something that truly stimulates my mind as opposed to the mundane helpdesk job I'm currently in. A degree in Software Engineering or Computer Science would be a fantastic addition to my CV as well as giving me a great skillset.

The job I'm in now pays rather well compared to most people my age, but I think a degree would help me to earn more if I put in the work. I've been told I have a good job and not to give it up, but is it worth being self conscious and unhappy over?

Sorry for the essay, I just wanted to get everything off my chest and hopefully get some feedback.

Thanks

Carlton

ReputationRep:
    I think you should do the degree. Helpdesk work isn't exactly stimulating in my experience, and career progression is limited. I've worked as a programmer, systems analyst and team leader in the past, and found programming/development to be much more interesting and challenging than support.

Also speaking from experience, that not-having-been-to-university chip will fester on your shoulder until you actually do it. Do it now, while you are still young and unencumbered with family, mortgage, etc.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CarltonU)
    Hi everyone,

I'm really in two minds about going to University. I'm 21 now and back when I was doing my A-Levels I'd really had enough of the education system and wanted to start working. I found myself an Apprenticeship in IT and have been working in the same job ever since, but recently I've been thinking 'what if?' about my decision to not go to Uni.

For years I've been quite self-conscious about not going, and people have always told me how surprised they are that I didn't go. Forgive me if I sound arrogant, but I always thought of myself as a very intelligent person, and I believe that going to University would be the perfect challenge for me to undertake.

I still want to continue a career in IT, but I want something that truly stimulates my mind as opposed to the mundane helpdesk job I'm currently in. A degree in Software Engineering or Computer Science would be a fantastic addition to my CV as well as giving me a great skillset.

The job I'm in now pays rather well compared to most people my age, but I think a degree would help me to earn more if I put in the work. I've been told I have a good job and not to give it up, but is it worth being self conscious and unhappy over?

Sorry for the essay, I just wanted to get everything off my chest and hopefully get some feedback.

Thanks

Carlton
    It doesn't cost too much to apply, so why not apply then you can still decide whether to actually go later on when you have a secure place and have looked at courses?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Schadenfreude65)
    I think you should do the degree. Helpdesk work isn't exactly stimulating in my experience, and career progression is limited. I've worked as a programmer, systems analyst and team leader in the past, and found programming/development to be much more interesting and challenging than support.

Also speaking from experience, that not-having-been-to-university chip will fester on your shoulder until you actually do it. Do it now, while you are still young and unencumbered with family, mortgage, etc.
    Thanks for the advice, I find it really helpful coming from someone in the same industry too! If I'm wanting to become a developer, would you recommend Software Engineering or Computer Science?

ReputationRep:
    You're welcome. Either can give you the skills you need. Computer Science tends to be a little broader in scope, but there can be quite a bit of variation. The best thing to do is to look at the modules offered on a variety of courses, and see what appeals to you.

ReputationRep:
    My personal experience.

When doing A-levels I had no desire to go to uni I had no idea as to what to do. I took a gap year did an access course but still totally unsure. I'd always loved learning but found that School was too rigid and I was unable to find my niche.

All the mishaps that occurred during my 5 year unplanned gap year led me back to the same place uni. And why fundamentally it gives you the skills and basis for future employment outside of more manual non-academic fields. It's a great places to discover new places and new things. And more than anything education and being educated is one of the greatest things you can give yourself.

So from my perspective yes do it. Even with all the negative press our education system is second to none so exploit it use it and above all enjoy it.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.