Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I really enjoy Psychology at college and I want to carry it on into University. After university i want to become a primary school teacher. the reason i want to do psychology is because i can change from teaching and do something else because it has a wide range of careers within that degree. I dont want to do a degree solidly based on primary school teaching because I'm actually quite unsure about what course i could do at uni to become a primary school teacher.

Could i do a degree in psychology and then PGCE and become a primary school teacher? Helppp!
    • TSR Support Team
    • Wiki Support Team
    • Peer Support Volunteers
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    Yes definitely, I did it after I graduated

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by heyitssamra)
    I really enjoy Psychology at college and I want to carry it on into University. After university i want to become a primary school teacher. the reason i want to do psychology is because i can change from teaching and do something else because it has a wide range of careers within that degree. I dont want to do a degree solidly based on primary school teaching because I'm actually quite unsure about what course i could do at uni to become a primary school teacher.

Could i do a degree in psychology and then PGCE and become a primary school teacher? Helppp!
    There are plenty of unis that do Primary Education degrees if that's what you're looking to do, and that's the way a lot of people go about becoming primary school teachers.
    But to answer your question, there are people who choose to do a degree in a subject then go on to do a PGCE to teach primary (:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bumblebee342)
    There are plenty of unis that do Primary Education degrees if that's what you're looking to do, and that's the way a lot of people go about becoming primary school teachers.
    But to answer your question, there are people who choose to do a degree in a subject then go on to do a PGCE to teach primary (:
    Is there any difference in terms of employability do you know, I've heard that those who have a degree and then get a pgce are more likely to get a job but I don't know how true this is

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 0011Abcdefg)
    Is there any difference in terms of employability do you know, I've heard that those who have a degree and then get a pgce are more likely to get a job but I don't know how true this is
    I'm not sure to be honest, I only thought about going into it this way!
    I've not heard that people who do a degree and then a PGCE are more likely to be employed than those who go and do Primary Ed. I'm not sure how much truth there is in that, because the latter consists of all the training needed and you're recommended for QTS at the end of it!
    I haven't done the research in terms of employability though

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 0011Abcdefg)

(Original post by bumblebee342)
    I'm not sure to be honest, I only thought about going into it this way!
    I've not heard that people who do a degree and then a PGCE are more likely to be employed than those who go and do Primary Ed. I'm not sure how much truth there is in that, because the latter consists of all the training needed and you're recommended for QTS at the end of it!
    I haven't done the research in terms of employability though

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Nah, makes no real difference at all. Heads won't be looking at specific qualifications, they'll be looking for QTS no matter how you achieve it, and then stuff like personal statement, other stuff you've been doing etc.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Skip_Snip)
    Nah, makes no real difference at all. Heads won't be looking at specific qualifications, they'll be looking for QTS no matter how you achieve it, and then stuff like personal statement, other stuff you've been doing etc.
    Yeah that's what I thought (makes sense), just didn't want to say it was definitely the case

I suppose you'd have everyone going down the PGCE route if it meant they were more likely to be employed

Posted from TSR Mobile

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.