38.46%
    Go on holiday by myself
    30.77%
    Cancel the holiday altogether
    26.92%
    Other, ideas?
    3.85%

ReputationRep:
    Basically me and a friend (lets call her Amy) of four years booked a holiday in March to go away in August.

Me and Amy did a joint search for this holiday and found a lovely hotel, with a nice kitchen, 5 minuets walk from the beach, so we snapped up the deal for this week long holiday in August.

We have paid all the holiday off, and started organising what we could do on holiday, eating out, how much money we were going to take, holiday shopping etc.

We are due to fly to our destination in 4 weeks..

However today Amy dropped this bombshell on me.. (image attached) Name:  PhotoGrid_1405878147925.jpg
Views: 855
Size:  290.1 KB

Basically saying that she would rather go on holiday with her boyfriend of a few months than myself...

I struggled to get the time off work for this holiday and pleaded with my bosses to give me the time off.

I've not said anything yet - Most of my friends work so are going to struggle to get time off work, and also find £400 to pay for the holiday, plus sending money etc.

I really don't know what to do if I can't find a replacement!

help appreciated.

ReputationRep:
    well if you've paid it off presumably she wont get any money back unless someone else offers to come and would therefore have to come with you?

I would talk to your other friends, it might be someone can give her half or something and she'll take it, since you'll probably feel very resentful if you go together now... go alone if you think you'll enjoy yourself still but I'd find someone else if you can, maybe a family member could go?

ReputationRep:
    Oh that's horrible...

I think I would talk about it with her. I'm male, so perhaps it's not as easy as this for you, but I would ask my friend why? Why would she ditch you? I would tell my friend what you've told us, that you've had to take time off work, you've put down this money and it's all booked. I don't want to say 'bros before hoes' but this is the kind of bond we're talking about with male friends. Is it similar with your friendship? Is it a complete surprise that she wants to do this, or does it seem like she's really close to her boyfriend, even in the short time they've been together.

I mean, even if they are really really close, or if she really really likes him, you just wouldn't do that to a friend.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by doodle_333)
    well if you've paid it off presumably she wont get any money back unless someone else offers to come and would therefore have to come with you?

I would talk to your other friends, it might be someone can give her half or something and she'll take it, since you'll probably feel very resentful if you go together now... go alone if you think you'll enjoy yourself still but I'd find someone else if you can, maybe a family member could go?
    I've spoke to my other friends, the only one who was interested has already had a month off work - so is unlikely to be able to get more time off work and can't really afford £700 (Cost of holiday and spending)

If she pulls out and I do end up going on my own then I have to pay to full cost of basically under occupying a room.

I've been on holiday on my own before, however this was a short city break for 4 days in Paris, very different to a beach holiday.

(Original post by Pride)
    Oh that's horrible...

I think I would talk about it with her. I'm male, so perhaps it's not as easy as this for you, but I would ask my friend why? Why would she ditch you? I would tell my friend what you've told us, that you've had to take time off work, you've put down this money and it's all booked. I don't want to say 'bros before hoes' but this is the kind of bond we're talking about with male friends. Is it similar with your friendship? Is it a complete surprise that she wants to do this, or does it seem like she's really close to her boyfriend, even in the short time they've been together.

I mean, even if they are really really close, or if she really really likes him, you just wouldn't do that to a friend.
    They work together so see each other every day. I've only met him once. I don't know why really as we have had it all paid off for around two months and booked in March time.

And yes, as the other day she rang me to organise about who was taking what in terms of shampoo / hair dryers etc wise and how much money we are taking so it was completely out of the blue with no indication of something like this happening.

She did reply saying if you can't find anyone I can still go - making it sound like a bit of a chore and she would rather be on holiday with her boyfriend.

ReputationRep:
    Wow, what a dickish thing to do. I'd point out how much effort it took you to prepare this and try and figure out what led her to that awful decision.

I don't know whether you still want to go on holiday with her, that's your call. But if she still wants to go on holiday with her boyfriend you should make her reimburse you since she ruined the holiday for you.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by parry_93)
    I've spoke to my other friends, the only one who was interested has already had a month off work - so is unlikely to be able to get more time off work and can't really afford £700 (Cost of holiday and spending)

If she pulls out and I do end up going on my own then I have to pay to full cost of basically under occupying a room.

I've been on holiday on my own before, however this was a short city break for 4 days in Paris, very different to a beach holiday.

They work together so see each other every day. I've only met him once. I don't know why really as we have had it all paid off for around two months and booked in March time.

And yes, as the other day she rang me to organise about who was taking what in terms of shampoo / hair dryers etc wise and how much money we are taking so it was completely out of the blue with no indication of something like this happening.

She did reply saying if you can't find anyone I can still go - making it sound like a bit of a chore and she would rather be on holiday with her boyfriend.
    oh my goodness, that is so bad...

I personally would still take her up on that offer, but I don't know what to say about that. That's pretty shocking to me...

ReputationRep:
    ill go with you

ReputationRep:
    I'll go with you. Let me just check.

**EDIT** Sorry, can't - my wife said no.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tengentoppa)
    Wow, what a dickish thing to do. I'd point out how much effort it took you to prepare this and try and figure out what led her to that awful decision.

I don't know whether you still want to go on holiday with her, that's your call. But if she still wants to go on holiday with her boyfriend you should make her reimburse you since she ruined the holiday for you.
    (Original post by Pride)
    oh my goodness, that is so bad...

I personally would still take her up on that offer, but I don't know what to say about that. That's pretty shocking to me...
    Im in two minds about going now. She text me saying don't be annoyed but I'm so annoyed with her.

It took me ages to get the time off work with it been declined twice before saying I could have it.

She said her job would rather not her have time off in August.

And the holiday with her boyf would be with his parents too.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    How long have you known her?

The way I see it if it's considerably longer than the few months that she's been going out with this boy then you should confront her about this. She can wait until next year (if she's even with him by then, which is exactly my point).

Sisters before Misters.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Castro Saint)

The way I see it if it's considerably longer than the few months that she's been going out with this boy then you should confront her about this. She can wait until next year (if she's even with him by then, which is exactly my point).

Sisters before Misters.
    This.

ReputationRep:

Sisters before Misters.
    4 years.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Sisters before Misters.
    Ahh, I haven't heard that one before... nice

(Original post by Junglee)
    ill go with you
    (Original post by Clip)
    I'll go with you. Let me just check.

**EDIT** Sorry, can't - my wife said no.
    :rofl:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Pride)
    Ahh, I haven't heard that one before... nice

:rofl:
    My wife said yes

ReputationRep:
    Try and sell the whole trip online, instead of just half, if you can't find a replacement for your bi*ch friend

ReputationRep:
    Basically me and a friend (lets call her Amy) of four years booked a holiday in March to go away in August.

Me and Amy did a joint search for this holiday and found a lovely hotel, with a nice kitchen, 5 minuets walk from the beach, so we snapped up the deal for this week long holiday in August.

We have paid all the holiday off, and started organising what we could do on holiday, eating out, how much money we were going to take, holiday shopping etc.

We are due to fly to our destination in 4 weeks..

However today Amy dropped this bombshell on me.. (image attached) http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/atta...d=302440&stc=1

Basically saying that she would rather go on holiday with her boyfriend of a few months than myself...

I struggled to get the time off work for this holiday and pleaded with my bosses to give me the time off.

I've not said anything yet - Most of my friends work so are going to struggle to get time off work, and also find £400 to pay for the holiday, plus sending money etc.

I really don't know what to do if I can't find a replacement!

help appreciated.
    Can think of many words that would get me banned for saying to describe your friend.

In my opinion, if she's gonna blow you off like that you deserve better. Either try and find a friend (or family member?) who wants to go with you, or alternatively there could be a chance you'll get a refund? If not I'm sure there are some online services that you can sell on your holiday, assuming that's possible

Seriously though. Proper d*** move that. I'd be p***** and confront her about it

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AdamCee)
    Can think of many words that would get me banned for saying to describe your friend.

In my opinion, if she's gonna blow you off like that you deserve better. Either try and find a friend (or family member?) who wants to go with you, or alternatively there could be a chance you'll get a refund? If not I'm sure there are some online services that you can sell on your holiday, assuming that's possible

Seriously though. Proper d*** move that. I'd be p***** and confront her about it
    The trouble I'm having is it's 4 weeks away so if we cancelled it would be a 100% loss of the holiday - no money back.

I'm trying but it's so difficult because it's so close and loads of people want to book work off for holidays in August and get rejected.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    The trouble I'm having is it's 4 weeks away so if we cancelled it would be a 100% loss of the holiday - no money back.

I'm trying but it's so difficult because it's so close and loads of people want to book work off for holidays in August and get rejected.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    What about selling it online? I'm sure if you tried hard enough you could find someone willing to buy the tickets. Perhaps not at face value you may have to give a discount but you should still get the majority of the money back

ReputationRep:
    Confront her about it! If I were you I would be flaming at her, lol. You just don't do that to a friend for no good reason, especially when it's just the two of you going...

I wouldn't even want to go on holiday with someone like that tbh. But I totally understand the money issue, do you perhaps have a sibling/cousin/family member who would potentially be willing to go with you?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AdamCee)
    What about selling it online? I'm sure if you tried hard enough you could find someone willing to buy the tickets. Perhaps not at face value you may have to give a discount but you should still get the majority of the money back
    It's a bit awkward as it's not a package deal. So it would be cost to the company, airline to change all the details I think its £30pp on each change to do

But she's looking for full value even if I find someone. Plus it would cost them £60 in fees for name changes etc.

I did text her saying if she wants to go on holiday with her boyfriend then she can but I'd want the cash for it.

She just replied " I'm not saying I don't wanna go with you it's just money is tight and they don't really want me having August off. If he can't then we will still go xx"

Posted from TSR Mobile

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: July 30, 2014
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.